CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

mp3 CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
mp3 CD Changer

My cd changer starts over from cd one every time I turn the car off. The dealer said I had to replace the cd changer and pay 400 bucks. I figured for that much I could get an mp3 changer or something. Is there any mp3 cd changer that works with the steeringwheel controls and the navigation screen?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
no
Old 11-28-2003, 03:27 PM

CLK 430
Originally posted by Josh K
no
That was right to the point . So my only option is to get the factory changer?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally posted by nuttertmf
That was right to the point . So my only option is to get the factory changer?
Well I think I've heard of some people using normal Alpine (non MB-Branded) changers, so that might be a cheaper option, but as far as having an Mp3 disc player that integrates with the COMAND and the steering wheel controls - it's not possible. For mp3's I just carry my iPod and plug it into the AUX input for my COMAND and do it that way. Search the forum though and look for some of the posts regarding a non MB-Branded Alpine unit - I'm pretty sure that's doable.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: mp3 CD Changer

My cd changer starts over from cd one every time I turn the car off. The dealer said I had to replace the cd changer and pay 400 bucks. I figured for that much I could get an mp3 changer or something. Is there any mp3 cd changer that works with the steeringwheel controls and the navigation screen?
what year is your car? its not your CD Changer that is at fault...

from my guess, since you say, Nav screen, I assume you have COMAND....

if you have the older COMAND system (where the startup screen isn't the MB sign)... then everytime you turn off your car while you are on the CD Changer mode, your Changer will jump back to Disc 1, Song 1 when you restart the car...

Its the software from your COMAND... it has nothing to do with the Changer....

2 possible solutions:
- Upgrade the software on the COMAND system (some older models can't be updated)
- Hit the AM/FM button before you turn off your car... then when you restart the car, just hit CD to go back to your CD, then you won't lose your spot
Old 11-28-2003, 10:27 PM

CLK 430
Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

Originally posted by mmgrad
what year is your car? its not your CD Changer that is at fault...

from my guess, since you say, Nav screen, I assume you have COMAND....

if you have the older COMAND system (where the startup screen isn't the MB sign)... then everytime you turn off your car while you are on the CD Changer mode, your Changer will jump back to Disc 1, Song 1 when you restart the car...

Its the software from your COMAND... it has nothing to do with the Changer....

2 possible solutions:
- Upgrade the software on the COMAND system (some older models can't be updated)
- Hit the AM/FM button before you turn off your car... then when you restart the car, just hit CD to go back to your CD, then you won't lose your spot
Yea I have a 2000...wait if it isn't my cd player why is my stealership charging me 400 dollars? What could they be fixing?
Old 11-28-2003, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: mp3 CD Changer

WTF are they trying to pull? Your 2000 is out of warranty by how long? A month?

BTW, the problem is the software in the Command Nav system, NOT the CD changer. I suggest that you find another dealer and write MBUSA and the Service Manager and complain.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

Yea I have a 2000...wait if it isn't my cd player why is my stealership charging me 400 dollars? What could they be fixing?
ok, confirm this for me... does your comand start up with or without the mercedes logo?

if no mercedes logo... I WILL GUARENTEE YOU THAT EVEN AFTER CHANGING CHANGERS, YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...

the dealers don't know squat... they teach them the absolute minimum about everything... they just need to know enough to convince you that they know what they talking about....

ask them about upgrading the COMAND software... if they don't know what you talking about, talk to another Advisor, talk to the service manager, ask for the master technician... if all fails...

call and check with another dealer... its a fairly well known problem...
Old 11-28-2003, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

Originally posted by E55AMG99
WTF are they trying to pull? Your 2000 is out of warranty by how long? A month?

BTW, the problem is the software in the Command Nav system, NOT the CD changer. I suggest that you find another dealer and write MBUSA and the Service Manager and complain.

This is how MB can afford to give us nice loaner cars each time we bring it in for service... they try and screw us owners because they think we're idiots made of money...

i mean, $400 for a changer, $300 for an oil change??? such BS... sigh...
Old 11-28-2003, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

This is how MB can afford to give us nice loaner cars each time we bring it in for service... they try and screw us owners because they think we're idiots made of money...

i mean, $400 for a changer, $300 for an oil change??? such BS... sigh...
Yeah but it's not just MB. Porsche is worse. I remember the dealer wanted $2,000 to fix an irregular idle problem on my '85 Carrera. An independent shop adjusted the mixture for $50.

Still, no one should put up with this kind of BS.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:00 AM

CLK 430
Re: Re: Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

ok, confirm this for me... does your comand start up with or without the mercedes logo?

if no mercedes logo... I WILL GUARENTEE YOU THAT EVEN AFTER CHANGING CHANGERS, YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...

the dealers don't know squat... they teach them the absolute minimum about everything... they just need to know enough to convince you that they know what they talking about....

ask them about upgrading the COMAND software... if they don't know what you talking about, talk to another Advisor, talk to the service manager, ask for the master technician... if all fails...

call and check with another dealer... its a fairly well known problem...
Thanks just called my service guy and let him know. I DO have the old command without the mercedes logo. Thanks so much I will let you know what he has to say. Silly dealers
Old 11-29-2003, 01:04 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
As one who just recently switched out my Mercedes radio/cassette with a new Alpine CD/MP3 player in my 2001 C. L. K. 430 Cabriolet, may I offer of another suggestion. If it is truly MP3 that you are interested in, there may not be a need for any changer at all. I have a single disc player and find it is sufficient to hold all the songs that I want to listen to on just a few disks. An 80 min. blank C. D. disc will hold up to 10 complete albums (120 individual songs) on a single disc.

So as you can see, three disks will hold 30 complete albums that you can listen to in a random fashion by simply pushing the mix button. The only reason for a changer is to allow you to keep a large number of songs available. The great part of a MP3 player is that you can hold those same number of songs on just a few CDs that are easily stored in your glove box.

You do lose the ability to utilize the steering wheel controls however. But to me that's a small price to pay for the convenience and the excellent sound quality of a good car CD/MP3 player.

I purchased an Alpine player that allows me to listen to CDs, MP3's, or W. M. A. formats for less than $300 installed professionally and it is much better than the original Mercedes radio. This may meet your needs much better than the very expensive Mercedes changer.

p.s. I'll most forgot, I did not have either the COMAND system or the Bose radio. I had the standard Mercedes radio. Maybe things are not as simple if you have the Bose or the COMAND. Don S.

Last edited by CLK 2001 Cab; 11-29-2003 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:27 PM

Does the woofer between the rear seat arm rest say bose? My 99 clk 320 does, and to my understanding the bose is standard?

Im not sure, but I want to do the headunit, I already added a sub, but the headunit has this anti distortion crap that keeps the bass reducing at higher volume.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

Thanks just called my service guy and let him know. I DO have the old command without the mercedes logo. Thanks so much I will let you know what he has to say. Silly dealers
After they fix your software, maybe you can treat me to something worth $400... hehehe

I'd be much more appciative of the money versus your dealer... hehe
Old 11-29-2003, 08:23 PM

CLK 430
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mp3 CD Changer

After they fix your software, maybe you can treat me to something worth $400... hehehe

I'd be much more appciative of the money versus your dealer... hehe
Perhaps a 400dollar gift certificate to the dealership so you can get some air in your tires
Old 12-12-2003, 12:47 PM

CLK
I have been searching for that MP3 player myself....

Not a changer though but a mp3 player that can be fit under the MB radio.

Do you know anyone that has done it before?? I went to best buy and none of the mp3 player that they had was compatible with CLK.

Mine is 2000 CLK320 bose.

Any suggestions??