CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

after market stereo for clk 320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 mercedes benz clk 320
after market stereo for clk 320

I want to get a new stereo for my car (2000 mercedes benz clk 320). Not looking to spend a fortune. Trying to figure out which double din radio will fit is challenging. Does anyone have any suggestions for after market cd stereo that will fit? I figured a double din one would take care of the entire space. But I'm open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking more on the cost effective side (cheap). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
Crutchfield.com is a great source site. Plus their customer service is unmatched.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM

2000 mercedes benz clk 320
Great! Thank you for the tip.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Just search aftermarket stereo on this forum and you will get a lot of information.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:53 AM

Mercedes CLK 320 (W208), '73 Chevy Nova
A standard double DIN will fit, but if you have a single in there at the moment, you will need to cut out a plastic divider that's between the single din head unit and the cubby hole.

Another thing to consider is that if your car has the Bose amp/speaker system, a head unit swap is not as straight forward. It's still easy, but you need to get a PAC OEM-2 signal converter, which converts the new head units unbalanced signal to a balanced signal for the Bose amp. I believe Crutchfield sell these too as well as blank ISO plugs so that you can make the install neat and easier.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM

CLK230 W208
Replacing head unit requires adapter or your remote on steering wont work..

If you dont want to spend a fortune why dont you try to replace stock speakers? I have pretty positive result with aftermarket speakers (6.5" front and back, 1" tweeter, 4" mid range). The only thing you need to pay attention is the speaker dimension and wattage. I put 40w speaker to Comand 2.0 but again, I don't listen to music very loud.

I simply take old speaker out, harness connector to new speaker and DYI the speaker mount and put new in. Oh, I also put soundproof on door, firewall and trunk (yeah, trust me you going to like it!).
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Originally Posted by vitaminjay
I want to get a new stereo for my car (2000 mercedes benz clk 320). Not looking to spend a fortune. Trying to figure out which double din radio will fit is challenging. Does anyone have any suggestions for after market cd stereo that will fit? I figured a double din one would take care of the entire space. But I'm open to any suggestions. Again, I'm looking more on the cost effective side (cheap). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This site is pretty comprehensive on what you need to do the upgrade:

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/headunit2.html

It misses the adapter you need to hold the head unit in place after cutting the divider (assuming you're going from single DIN OE to aftermarket double DIN)
They can be purchased on Amazon. I don't have the link of where I got mine from at the moment. If you're interested I can give it to you. It was ~$30. The adapters on Marcus's site can be purchased from Crutchfield or you can try to track them down for less elsewhere. The adapters cost me almost $200 so keep that cost in mind.

If you have the Bose stereo, it's not too bad from the factory. With the head unit adapters you retain the original amp.

I would recommend looking for factory refurbished Pioneer or Kenwood units on ebay if you're looking for a bargain. You can pick up a decent one for $150-200. Do you want Nav? Do you want bluetooth? Do you want app radio? Do you want sirius/XM? Do you want back up cam?

If you want to get into one inexpensively you can buy a basic unit and add on features you want later. Just look at what it supports when you buy it. For anything worthwhile you'll be looking at $350-400 total with adapters for a bargain basement price assuming you do the work yourself.

Last edited by beefstallionAMG; 06-02-2014 at 02:38 PM.