CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Resonator, What does it do???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Clk 55 Cab, 07 S50, 08 Ml320 CDI
Cool Resonator, What does it do???

Hello guys, I am a little new to the scene here. I recently added a full carlson body kit to my 99clk. I am in the midst of researching some ways to enhance it but not overkill it. I am looking to gain a little more power from the v6 and I heard some people mention a resonator. What exactly does that do?
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The resonator is designed to reduce the volume that the exhaust puts out. Removing the resonator would give your car a more natural sound, as well as increasing performance slightly.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech slk 32
The resonator removes undue "resonations" from the exhaust system. Resonations is more than just a loud noise...by removing the resonator you might have unwanted noise at particular RPM's. These resonations can be quite annoying...noises you don't want to hear while cruising. The car will however might sound better IMHO under full throttle.
The muffler is used to reduce the volume of sound of the engine.

Some compaines sell sport resonators, which use should use as oppsed to just a straight pipe. Very nomial gains might be expected.

Sound and resonations are too very differnet things. Ask any engineer.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Well actually, the resonator is just a chamber with just the right length so that a sound wave of a specific frequency reflects off of the back end just as a new wave of the same frequency enters the front of the chamber. The two waves are exactly out of phase and cancel each other, leading to tranquility. Engines have a few super loud frequencies (think Harley-Davidson) and the resonators are tuned to go after the loudest frequencies.

Resonators destroy frequencies and mufflers attenuate (soften) them.

Something else to consider is that as these and other frequencies are bouncing back and forth all throughout your exhaust system, they are creating subtle pressures and you'd have to think that those smart guys at AMG have tuned the length of the exhaust pipes so that they expell as efficiently as possible for maximum performance. Change the length or diameter of your exhaust system and you may be asking for trouble.

In other words, you might think you'd get extra performance by removing a component, but end up "detuning" your system. So be sure to dyno your changes and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by pigman; 03-15-2002 at 03:30 AM.