CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What does it take to "Badge a Car?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2003 | 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

G500
Question What does it take to "Badge a Car?"

Just wondering,

I saw a post earlier about brabus not selling its badge b/c of replica rims, et al.

Question: What does a car REALLY need to have to "EARN A BADGE?"

Example: I have a 99 CLK 430, AMG Rims, AMG Exhaust, AMG Body Kit...stock engine. Do I get a AMG Badge? Have I earned one?

I know I what an REAL AMG car is (Motoring/Engine package) and what is stands for...but I have everything that a BRABUS or LORINSOR has in terms of body styling and kits and don't they earn the badging?

Last edited by HoosierCLK430; 12-28-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2003 | 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This has been discussed before at length. If you do a search you will find alot of stuff. It basically boils down to, do whatever you want to your car and tell everyone else to shove their opinions. Some people believe you need to have an amg engine to badge your 430 with amg, others believe just the bodykit and wheels are necessary. There is no real definitive answer.

Oh and this is not the boyscouts, you dont have to earn badges, you can buy them off ebay!
Old 12-28-2003 | 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

G500
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound so boyscoutish...I just have trouble doing "air quotation" marks online.

I saw the previous arguments over bading, but nothing definitive.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2003 | 07:09 PM

2006 E350
Originally posted by J Lucas
This has been discussed before at length. If you do a search you will find alot of stuff. It basically boils down to, do whatever you want to your car and tell everyone else to shove their opinions. Some people believe you need to have an amg engine to badge your 430 with amg, others believe just the bodykit and wheels are necessary. There is no real definitive answer.

Oh and this is not the boyscouts, you dont have to earn badges, you can buy them off ebay!
I agree. Who decides when it's OK to put the AMG badge on a car. To be honest I wasn't too crazy about my car having the AMG badge on it at first becuase of people making comments but I could care less now and I feel my car does deserve it since it does have the AMG bodykit and rims.

I think you should be able to do whatever you want to your car, after all you're the one driving and enjoying it.
Old 12-28-2003 | 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

vraa's opinion: You gotta have the beef to have the badge, less show more go. Otherwise it's like a ricer mod, doesn't do anything.
Old 12-28-2003 | 11:56 PM
TNH

I don't think it's a big deal, but I personally don't feel that a non-amg car should have the amg badge. Real AMG cars don't have too much to set them apart from the regular models as far as their appearance goes, so I think the badge should really be just for them.

Brabus made a statement about badging, I forget where I saw it, but they said brabus trunk eblems were acceptable if your car had brabus exterior mods such as body kit and wheels. They said that you would have to have a brabus tuned engine to earn the Brabus hood badge though.
Old 12-29-2003 | 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I say put the badge on... the ///AMG badge will add 15+ hp...

just ask any ricer with a Type R badge....
Old 12-29-2003 | 02:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by mmgrad

Only when you have the spoiler for the added lift.. err downforce.
Old 12-29-2003 | 04:09 AM

03 silver C32 AMG
i think alrite to add the AMG badge i guess.... Brabus sends Brabus badges to their customers when they have 3 or more Brabus parts. According to Brabus, 3 or more Brabus parts qualifies a car as a Brabus car

so u have rims bodykit and exhaust, so by Brabus's definition, ur car qualifies as a AMG car

wutever u do, jus dont put CLK55 or take off a Zero CLK43

if u do... ill kick ur ***!

i see alot of SL500's wut the sport package here that have AMG on their trunk

its alrite i guess cause it says SL500 AMG

they didnt rebadge it SL55

so as long as ur ONLY adding AMG and not CLK55 or CLK43

ppl shouldnt give u that hard a time bout it

amg owners should actually b flattered
Old 12-29-2003 | 04:11 AM

03 silver C32 AMG
Originally posted by mmgrad

didnt type-R badges add like 40 to 80 hp? haha

cause the integ type R was like 200 and GSR was liek 160 and LS was like 120 rite?

those badges r the best mods ever!
Old 12-29-2003 | 05:25 AM

do whatever tickles your pickle
Old 12-29-2003 | 05:55 AM

CLK 200K cab
That reminds me of the guy I saw driving around in his "CLK 32 //AMG" last week

Pretty strange thing to do because people who know AMG know that there's no such thing as a CLK 32, and people who don't, won't notice the badge anyway.
Although.. he had a huge transparent AMG sticker in his rear window too in case anyone missed the one on the trunk
Old 12-29-2003 | 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
wutever u do, jus dont put CLK55 or take off a Zero CLK43

................You can get yourself totally crazy about this badge issue. I have a 2000 CLK 320 with a Kleemann supercharger. The car is badged CLK32K. No, there is no AMG badge. Of course this car is badged appropriately, but by your definition, it is not badged correctly. You see, you really get into different twists and turns with this. Best thing I think is to say that anyone can have fun witheir private property as they wish. This is not like a Purple Heart or a Congressional Medal of Honor. The way people react to this, one would think that someone was falsely wearing a Purple Heart.

Ted
Old 12-29-2003 | 09:45 AM

2006 E350
Originally posted by TNH
I don't think it's a big deal, but I personally don't feel that a non-amg car should have the amg badge. Real AMG cars don't have too much to set them apart from the regular models as far as their appearance goes, so I think the badge should really be just for them.

Brabus made a statement about badging, I forget where I saw it, but they said brabus trunk eblems were acceptable if your car had brabus exterior mods such as body kit and wheels. They said that you would have to have a brabus tuned engine to earn the Brabus hood badge though.
I think the fact that the CLK AMG's are badged CLK 55 and get the AMG dual exhaust is enough to set it apart.

But either way, I think if it's just the AMG badge it's OK as long as ur not changing the actual badge like the 430 or 320. My car still reads 430, I'm not trying to make my car out to have a bigger engine, just a nice AMG body kit and a set of AMG rims.

That reminds me of this guy at the carwash that had his CLK430 while I had mine there and made a comment about my AMG emblem to his friend. Meanwhile he had a stock CLK430 with a Lorinser emblem on his car.
Old 12-29-2003 | 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Only 3 Brabus items and I can 'qualify' for the badge?

I'm gonna order:

Brabus shift knob
Brabus valve stem caps
Brabus steering wheel

Yahoo.....I'm in da club :p

Or, just go to ebay
Old 12-29-2003 | 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I would agree with those who say to do whatever it is you want to. It's your car and it's your right to do whatever the heck you darn well please. But, since you're asking the board members, it seems as though you are somewhat concerned about what others will think. Personally, when I see an MB with AMG emblems on it and it isn't a "factory AMG" car, my first thought is that they are trying to make their car out to be something that it is not. The 430's come with the AMG bodykit and you can also get it with the rims and MB didn't see the need to badge it so why should anyone else? That is just my honest opinion and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Old 12-29-2003 | 11:00 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
well it's ur car...do as you wish If you like it do it as long as it doesn't look stupid like say...taking the "0" off the badge when you put on the AMG badge.

at least it's not one of them stock C230k sedan w/ AMG badges I've seen a couple time around my area.
Old 12-30-2003 | 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
I would agree with those who say to do whatever it is you want to. It's your car and it's your right to do whatever the heck you darn well please. But, since you're asking the board members, it seems as though you are somewhat concerned about what others will think. Personally, when I see an MB with AMG emblems on it and it isn't a "factory AMG" car, my first thought is that they are trying to make their car out to be something that it is not. The 430's come with the AMG bodykit and you can also get it with the rims and MB didn't see the need to badge it so why should anyone else? That is just my honest opinion and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
I'm not sure but I think Euro CLK's that come with the sport package do have AMG in the back
Old 12-30-2003 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Saw an Audi "RS 4" the other day.....tinted windows and even stock A4 rims. Man, was I almost fooled :p
Old 12-30-2003 | 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally posted by Chappy
Only 3 Brabus items and I can 'qualify' for the badge?

I'm gonna order:

Brabus shift knob
Brabus valve stem caps
Brabus steering wheel

Yahoo.....I'm in da club :p

Or, just go to ebay

I CHANGE my order. Instead of the Brabus steering wheel, I'll get a Brabus baseball cap for the rear hat tray.

There. 3 things. Now, where's my badge?
Old 12-30-2003 | 01:25 PM

CLK, X5
3 Things?
Well, through all the ranting about Brabus, i think we established that one of em must be wheels, and one of em maybe body kit? Then the third can be your baseball cap. Now....you're in the club :-)
Old 12-30-2003 | 01:26 PM

CLK, X5
3 Things?
Well, through all the ranting about Brabus, i think we established that one of em must be wheels, and one of em maybe body kit? Then the third can be your baseball cap. Now....you're in the club :-)
Old 12-30-2003 | 01:26 PM

CLK, X5
3 Things?
Old 12-30-2003 | 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
for those people that want to badge their cars to assimilate higher model cars, Go for it! Just learn to put your heads down when you get smoked by the real thing.

by the way, I still have the lorinser trunk emblem on my car even though I don't have any lorinser mods on my car now except my shift knob. (but i did have the 19" staggered LM-1's and the suspension). Who cares????