CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

springpad height question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
springpad height question...

Hi guys -

I currently have 3/4 spring pads on my car. Is it awkward if my car had 3's in the front and 1's in the back? Anyone have a setup like that?!!?

It seems that my fronts with 19x8.5's on 235's are already rubbing when i turn the wheel almost to its fullest. Not exactly sure where its rubbing, but i hear it. The wheel and fender gap.. I can barely put one finger in there w/o angling my hand. But the back needs about 1/2" drop or so still.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-06-2004, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: springpad height question...

Originally posted by CLK430ROB
Hi guys -

I currently have 3/4 spring pads on my car. Is it awkward if my car had 3's in the front and 1's in the back? Anyone have a setup like that?!!?

It seems that my fronts with 19x8.5's on 235's are already rubbing when i turn the wheel almost to its fullest. Not exactly sure where its rubbing, but i hear it. The wheel and fender gap.. I can barely put one finger in there w/o angling my hand. But the back needs about 1/2" drop or so still.

Thanks,
Rob
i don't see the potential of any adverse effects by using those pads...

what i suspect is rubbing, which is what is happening with me, is that, when you make an extreme turn, or U-turn, the corner of the tire is rubbing against the inside of the fenderwell trim.

If your tires are rubbing even when you are going straight... then, you may just really have very very square tire edges, in which, i suggest you get different tires...
Old 01-06-2004, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: springpad height question...

Originally posted by mmgrad
i don't see the potential of any adverse effects by using those pads...

what i suspect is rubbing, which is what is happening with me, is that, when you make an extreme turn, or U-turn, the corner of the tire is rubbing against the inside of the fenderwell trim.

If your tires are rubbing even when you are going straight... then, you may just really have very very square tire edges, in which, i suggest you get different tires...
Nope.... no rubbing when going straight or even hittin small bumps or going over speed bumps. Only when i turn my wheel a certain degree. Should i go to 1 pads?! Im suspecting its rubbing the fender well wall too... which isn't a big deal. 10mm lower.. doesn't really change the rubbing anymore than what its doing already, i would assume?!?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Re: Re: springpad height question...

Originally posted by CLK430ROB
Nope.... no rubbing when going straight or even hittin small bumps or going over speed bumps. Only when i turn my wheel a certain degree. Should i go to 1 pads?! Im suspecting its rubbing the fender well wall too... which isn't a big deal. 10mm lower.. doesn't really change the rubbing anymore than what its doing already, i would assume?!?

Thanks,
Rob
sounds most likely to be rubbing against the well wall during extreme turns...

and yes, lowering more will make more contact... sorry to say
Old 01-06-2004, 01:14 PM

99 CLK 320, 2000 GSXR 750
Same problem, I have eibach pro springs with #1 pads and it rubs during extreme turns like u-turns. Other then that it is awesome.

Note some people here in the forum will tell you to stick with the stock shocks, I will tell you from personal experience not more then one month ago...DONT. My car was hitting the bump-stops constantly and shaking my teeth loose when I would go over bumps in the road. I had the KONI adjustables set to 3 and installed...It made a 100% difference. Now I dont have to cringe every time I see a bump in the road. The car runs a bit stiffer, but pretty close to stock.

Just a word of advise.