CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Key issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 mercedes e300d
Key issues

I have a 200 CLK 430 cab. the other day, my key stopped working. The light blinks, but none of the buttons work any longer. I have a back up key and I have been using that key, but can't get the other one to open doors. I used the working key to open the doors and then tried the non-working key to start the car and it works. I tried the key on the doors and it now works on the doors again. I fear that I will lock myself out of my own car and am wondering what happened?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
It's explained in your owner's manual (e.g. in the practical hints section).

Specially, if the vehicle can not be locked or unlocked, the remote control may have to be resynchronized.

To synchronize it, insert the remote in the steering lock. The remote control should once again be operational.

There could be a number of reasons as why your remote required resynchronization.

It's a good idea to replace the 2 coin batteries in the remote every 2 - 3 years. When pressing any fob key, if the battery is good, a red light, on the remote, will briefly flash. However, the battery may fail to provide sufficient power to the circuitry, anytime thereafter.

The batteries are cheap and commonly available. When changing the batteries, because the circuitry inside the fob operates at extremely low current, I always clean the battery surfaces with a tissue (e.g. to remove any finger oils) and make sure the retaining clip contacts provide good tension.

Last edited by Serndipity; 12-11-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:04 PM

1997 mercedes e300d
I did plug in the key and it works fine. Still can't use the valet key in the trunk. Doesn't turn and I am afraid if I force it, I will break off the key and then have to replace the lock.
Thank you for your help
Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM

clk 320
had the same problem its rust in the look as we just use the key fob all the time when your fob fails then you have to use the laser key that's when the fun starts, every month put some oil in the boot look with the boot open, so it runs inside and work it in with the key, i found out the hard way, the main dealer wanted £500 to fix it, I took it to a locksmith it took 3 days to get it working I was lucky slowly slowly catch monkey, if you force it then it got to be drilled out and a new lock !!!!