CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'01 CLK 430: Car shuts off intermittently, fires right up

Old 04-14-2015, 04:05 PM
emj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 AMG
'01 CLK 430: Car shuts off intermittently, fires right up

This started two weeks ago. Car shuts off in heavy traffic then fires back up and doesn't shut back off for the rest of the work commute of about an hour. It's completely random. Thought it was the crank position sensor - went out a few years ago and I replaced it. Seemed like the same symptoms now so I replaced it last week. With the bad CPS issue before the car didn't always start back up right away so I ruled that out since that's what happens now.

Car shut off again yesterday in heavy stop and go traffic. I ran the codes yesterday but none came up. Today, in traffic, it shut off again but again fired right back up and didn't shut off again during the drive of about 2 hours. This time I got the ABS light. Any ideas? Car off shuts off when I'm stopped or coming to a stop.

New MAF, fuel and air filters installed 2 months ago.
New CPS installed last week.

Sounds like an electronic ignition issue but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by emj; 04-14-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Check your Cam Position Sensor.

Crank Position Sensor Typical Symptom = Car shuts off and won't restart until cooled down.

Cam Position Sensor Typical Symptom = Car shuts down when decelerating and will usually restart immediately
Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 PM
emj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 AMG
Thanks for the reply. Not getting a code and a faulty camshaft position sensor usually throws a code, no? The crankshaft position sensor doesn't.

I had my mechanic run a full code scan and he got a few faults. He cleared them, let the engine run for a few minutes, and rescanned. No codes. Been a couple of days now and the issue hasn't re-occurred. If it does shut off again, I'll change the camshaft sensor. I think you're on to something there. Thanks again.