CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 handling

I have previously owned a couple of BMW saloons, and was able to take a sharp corner at almost any speed and the car would stick to the road like glue in any conditions, wet or dry. Despite being really happy with the CLK, I had thought it didn't handle quite so well, so in an enthusiastic moment I hauled the 430 into a bend at somewhere between 40 & 50 mph to give it a try, and found it flying around all over the place! I don't normally drive in this manner so it's not really a big issue, but I wondered if anyone else has found the handling not exactly outstanding? Is it the weight of the big V8 causing a slight imbalance, or are the lower engine models the same?
Also, if you do "loose it" should you take your feet of the pedals and let the ESP correct it by itself?
Would love to know your thoughts.........
Old 01-22-2004, 02:50 PM

I'll make this brief

Kleemann Speed Sensitive Suspension problem solved

Last edited by lou430; 01-22-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:49 PM

CLK, X5
Even without the v8, my 320 experiences the same instability at higher speed turns. Dosn't bother me enough for the Kleeman... but i think that would be a practical mod
Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
As previously stated, the CLK is like driving a couch...
Old 01-27-2004, 11:36 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I've notice that too... handling is just not what i had hope for.... one of the only disapointments i have with the CLK....

I have H&R cup kit on my car and still that does not satisfy my need....

Even with the CLK55 sways.... still not good enough...

No one makes front and reat strut bars... so I guess my only option left IS coilovers....
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by xyzpl
I've notice that too... handling is just not what i had hope for.... one of the only disapointments i have with the CLK....

No one makes front and reat strut bars... so I guess my only option left IS coilovers....
except that no one makes coil-overs either...

just get good sticky tires, stiffen up the chassis more, lower the suspension, and you will see a dramatic improvement...
Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 PM

MB
Originally posted by mmgrad
except that no one makes coil-overs either...

just get good sticky tires, stiffen up the chassis more, lower the suspension, and you will see a dramatic improvement...
What would you have to do to stiffen the chassis? Rollcage?

Thanks,

Solihin
Old 01-28-2004, 12:21 PM

MB
Originally posted by xyzpl

How much was the labor to install the CLK55 sways, I have the bars but Im still considering whether I should just sell or install them.

Thanks,

Solihin
Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by hinhin7
What would you have to do to stiffen the chassis? Rollcage?

Thanks,

Solihin
i think sway & strut bars will stiffen the body nicely...

sway bars are somewhat hard to come by, and strut bars are even more rare...

oh, cutting down some of that excess weight will improve the handling too... just look to sleestacks performance mods for inspiration... he's got the right ideas (along with the checkbook to back it up)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:26 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
Originally posted by hinhin7
How much was the labor to install the CLK55 sways, I have the bars but Im still considering whether I should just sell or install them.

Thanks,

Solihin
It is a lot to install those sways... If I remember correctly, you have to drop the whole rearend... about $300 I believe...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:29 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
Originally posted by mmgrad

oh, cutting down some of that excess weight will improve the handling too... just look to sleestacks performance mods for inspiration... he's got the right ideas (along with the checkbook to back it up)
THANKS Danny, I know where you are headed with this... I know...I know... I should take out my ICE and give them to you so I can save weight... then I will have a better handling car...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No doubt.... ahhh, Gwen Stefani. Sorry. No doubt, the stock setup on the CLK sucks monkey butt. A combination of MKB sway bars, Kleemann speed sensitive shocks and H&R springs greatly improved the handling. Evosport is having custom coilovers built for my car, however, I think most people would find my setup to be a huge improvement over stock. The overall weight and weight distribution on the CLK is far from ideal. I'm taking some weight off the front end by going with a lighter hood and reducing overall weight by replacing the seats and removing some of the stereo components. Chassis rigidity is another problem with the W208. Evosport has installed a 6 (or 8) point chromaly rollcage to address that problem. The car has not been driven since the rollcage has been installed so I can't give you my impressions, however, based on the experience of Evosport, the improvement should be dramatic.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:12 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
THere you go again sleestack.. teasing us like that!!!

I think a lot of us here are more excited about your car then you are
Old 01-29-2004, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Guys,

I think you are missing the bigger picture. You are driving a luxury sports coupe, not a sports car. BMW makes sports driving machines. MB has always emphasized more on appearance and status then superb capabilities on the track.

After factory mods are great, but you still won't get that phenom handling. I have the H&R setup and it is still squirly. Then again, I didn't by the car to out handle or out run other cars on the road.

:-)
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ldangeli
Guys,

I think you are missing the bigger picture. You are driving a luxury sports coupe, not a sports car. BMW makes sports driving machines. MB has always emphasized more on appearance and status then superb capabilities on the track.

After factory mods are great, but you still won't get that phenom handling. I have the H&R setup and it is still squirly. Then again, I didn't by the car to out handle or out run other cars on the road.

:-)
I don't think anyone is missing the point. I think they are just trying to get the most out of their cars. Everyone knows the CLK is not a sports car. An H&R setup is nice, but, it is far from pushing the envelope when it comes to improving the handling characteristics of a CLK. If you are happy with your car, that's great, but I'm not sure why you think everyone else needs to have the same priorities as you.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I don't think everyone has to have the same priorities. Yeah, the clk is a nice car, but the original question was based on handling. I was pointing out that the car isn't really designed to be pushed to the edge of the envelope as you so eloquently put it.

Hey if you like the car that much and want to drop 15k more power to you. Personally, to me, it is a waste of time and money, and in the high end car sector, you can get a whole lot more bang for the buck elsewhere.

The MB is a good looking car but my original point was and still is, it is not a car that you are going to get phenom handling out of.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think everyone has to have the same priorities. Yeah, the clk is a nice car, but the original question was based on handling. I was pointing out that the car isn't really designed to be pushed to the edge of the envelope as you so eloquently put it.

Hey if you like the car that much and want to drop 15k more power to you. Personally, to me, it is a waste of time and money, and in the high end car sector, you can get a whole lot more bang for the buck elsewhere.

The MB is a good looking car but my original point was and still is, it is not a car that you are going to get phenom handling out of.
The original question was basically, "I'm not happy with the handling, any suggestions?" Most of the responses were suggestions to improve the handling, which is entirely possible. Sure, you're not going to get the CLK to handle like a true sports car, but, why not get the most out of it if that's what you want. Stock MBs are obviously tuned soft for the market they target, however, there is a huge margin for improvement for those who want their car to handle better. As for pushing the envelope, if you read what I said, I was referring to pushing the envelope of the CLKs handling potential, not cars in general.

As for 15K... that's not going to get you a whole lot when it comes to MBs. Furthermore, when it comes to the high end car sector, who really cares about bang for the buck. If you are looking for bang for the buck, you shouldn't be looking at MBs anyway.

Your original point about not getting phenomenal handling out of the CLK is true. The CLK is never going to handle like a 360 Modena. It can, however, handle signiifcantly better than the stock setup or your setup. If you are happy with your setup, that's great, but there are many people who aren't, and for those people there are options.

Last edited by Sleestack; 01-29-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Re: CLK 430 handling

Originally posted by jimclk430
Also, if you do "loose it" should you take your feet of the pedals and let the ESP correct it by itself?
yeah...i think that's what you should do in most situations where you lost control of the car. maybe steering in the direction of the slide might help to get it back. not exactly sure of what ESP can/can't do, though, because i've never driven a car with it. when i see the flashing yellow /!\ and hear the tires starting to make some noise, i know i should take it easy before i fly off the road.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I understand exactly what you are saying, but if I am going to drop another 15k into a car that has given me nothing but problems, I would much rather get more bang for my 80k buck. 65k+15k=80k. And it is out there. And to even try and put the CLK and the Modena in the same sentence is insane. Two completely different functionalities and designs.

Sure the 208 is a beautiful looking car, but it is already setup from the factory for as much as that frame can handle. Sure you can add suspension, brakes, anti-roll, enhanced cornering control, and a ton of other things, but my personal opinion, and it is just that, my personal opinion is it is wasted time and money on a car that is plagued with problems and with a company that has horrendous service relationships with its customers.

Not to mention the fact that you are dumping 80k into a car that after 2-3 years, is worth less than 40k. MB is a luxury car, thats what it will always be, its like driving your couch.

Ever since Chrysler purchased Benz, the company has gone completely down hill..

Next purchase is a 911 or M5. F MB Service and cost.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The reason I put the CLK and Modena in the same sentence was because you were talking about cars with phenomenal handling. The Modena has phenomenal handling that the CLK could not possibly reproduce.

I disagree that the CLK comes from the factory with a setup that pushes the limits of what the chassis can handle. I think many MB tuners have proven that. That being said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however uninformed it may be.

Your comments on depreciation are true, and even more so when you start tuning the cars. Tuning is not a value play.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I think nickv said it best;
As previously stated, the CLK is like driving a couch...
Again, don't even put the CLK and the Modena in the same sentence, Enzo Sr would roll over in his grave. That is a mute point. The point I was making and yes it is my opinion, no matter how much you put into the CLK, its still going to be limited in terms of performance.

And as far as "bang for the buck" there are a half dozen high end cars, for around the price of the MB or the price of the MB with all the mods, that will still run circles around the CLK, right out of the box.

Everytime someone brings up a valid point about one a hinderance of the 208, people take it as a personal attack on them or there setup. I realize that this is all my opinion and if a person feels the need to blow a nut on mod'ing a car that is still like driving a couch, then god bless.

My initial, last and final point still is, the CLK is a luxury coupe, not a sports car / sedan / or sports anything for that matter.... No matter what type of pretty bow you put on it.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM

2002 C32 AMG
My Two Cents - Keep The Change

Being a former CLK55 owner for almost two years, I quickly learned the short coming of the CLK/ AMG design - I agree with Lou's argument regarding putting more enhancements into a car that is not designed to handle the way some of us intended. With that said, making changes for good or bad is nothing more than a personal preference, nothing more - good or bad it is all relative. For one I felt it unwise to drop more money into my CLK55 to improve the handling aspect. I simply sold it and obtain a car that does give me what I am looking for (2004 996 Targa) I enjoyed the CLK for what it is and was - a nice luxo-coupe and that is it, no need to create something it's not.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think nickv said it best;

Again, don't even put the CLK and the Modena in the same sentence, Enzo Sr would roll over in his grave. That is a mute point. The point I was making and yes it is my opinion, no matter how much you put into the CLK, its still going to be limited in terms of performance.

And as far as "bang for the buck" there are a half dozen high end cars, for around the price of the MB or the price of the MB with all the mods, that will still run circles around the CLK, right out of the box.

Everytime someone brings up a valid point about one a hinderance of the 208, people take it as a personal attack on them or there setup. I realize that this is all my opinion and if a person feels the need to blow a nut on mod'ing a car that is still like driving a couch, then god bless.

My initial, last and final point still is, the CLK is a luxury coupe, not a sports car / sedan / or sports anything for that matter.... No matter what type of pretty bow you put on it.
Your disdain for putting two cars in the same sentence is nonsensical, especially given that the whole point of putting in the same sentence was to point out how one could never be the other.

As for bang for the buck, I had agreed with you and said that if you are looking for the best bang for the buck you shouldn't be lookin at MBs anyway.

I'm not taking your comments as personal attack. I just think your comments are uninformed and based on your limited experience with your CLK.

Your last point is correct. The CLK is not a sports car. I don't think anyone ever said it was. All anyone said was that the handling could be greatly improved. For some reason, you seem to have a problem with that.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:28 PM

clk55
I hope you know what you are saying.

"Ever since Chrysler purchased Benz, the company has gone completely down hill"

Benz took over Chrysler. Not the other way around. As far as problems, I have 42,000 miles on my 02/CLK55. I lowered it and have no problems with it. As far as handling, the major design problem with this car is the steering (automatic transmission, we all know that). Next time put some real shocks. If you are using the stock shocks with H&R springs, the handling in your cars will suuck. Plus your sway bars are too weak. The W208 can be made to handle nicely with proper setup. The handling may not be a Ferrari but it can compete. That's why it was so close to the M5 in the German tracks.
If you want sports car buy a 911. If you want 4 doors that handle sporty, buy a M5. CLK is in its own class. If you want two door that will handle sporty, you should have bought a M3. But then when you buy an M3, you don't have a peace of mind on the motor's reliability.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: My Two Cents - Keep The Change

Originally posted by 5439cc
Being a former CLK55 owner for almost two years, I quickly learned the short coming of the CLK/ AMG design - I agree with Lou's argument regarding putting more enhancements into a car that is not designed to handle the way some of us intended. With that said, making changes for good or bad is nothing more than a personal preference, nothing more - good or bad it is all relative. For one I felt it unwise to drop more money into my CLK55 to improve the handling aspect. I simply sold it and obtain a car that does give me what I am looking for (2004 996 Targa) I enjoyed the CLK for what it is and was - a nice luxo-coupe and that is it, no need to create something it's not.
I don't disagree with you. It's all about personal preference. Some people want to get more out of their CLK, some don't. Some care about the value play, some don't. Some people have a great aversion for the risks associated with aftermarket tuning. I don't. I know probably more than most how much it takes to get the CLK to not drive like a CLK. So why make the CLK into something it was not originally made to be?.... because I can.

I assume you don't believe in modifying cars at all given that any aftermarket part would be changing a car into something that it was not originally designed to be. I can respect that view, I just don't share the same opinion.

Last edited by Sleestack; 01-30-2004 at 01:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 430 handling