CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CL500

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here. Just bought my first M-B, It's a 2003 CLK430 Convertible.

Car needs some work, but it was running and moving, body in good shape, low miles (107,000) and I only paid $1200 for it!

Biggest issue I'm having is with the transmission shifting. I'm not getting a gear selection indicator on the dash, it will shift into reverse and drive, but once in drive won't shift back into reverse or park. From what I've read, it seems I need a new shifter assembly. Does this sound right to anyone?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
Originally Posted by cemike
Hi everyone. I'm a new member here. Just bought my first M-B, It's a 2003 CLK430 Convertible.

Car needs some work, but it was running and moving, body in good shape, low miles (107,000) and I only paid $1200 for it!

Biggest issue I'm having is with the transmission shifting. I'm not getting a gear selection indicator on the dash, it will shift into reverse and drive, but once in drive won't shift back into reverse or park. From what I've read, it seems I need a new shifter assembly. Does this sound right to anyone?
Nice score! The indicator on the dash is a notorious problem in these cars. This may be the reason why your not getting a visual in the instrument cluster. Good luck with the shifting issue. With a few searches here you might be able to figure that out. Welcome to the w208 forum!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Hey welcome!

The problem will most likely be oil in the TCU loom (quite common). With research you can figure out whether to get a used TCU (if needed) or hopefully a good clean is required.

The price you paid for your car may seem a steal but as you're finding out these cars are complicated and expensive! But with help from this forum I'm sure your project will be a success!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM

2000 CL500
Thanks for the welcomes!

So far, I've been able to source used parts for pretty reasonable prices. I am very happy with the progress I'm making.

Thanks for the tip on the TCU loom. I'll check that this weekend.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Hey welcome!

The problem will most likely be oil in the TCU loom (quite common). With research you can figure out whether to get a used TCU (if needed) or hopefully a good clean is required.

The price you paid for your car may seem a steal but as you're finding out these cars are complicated and expensive! But with help from this forum I'm sure your project will be a success!

Wait a second. Are you saying that it is just not appearing on the instrument cluster or is it not shifting. I definitely would check for oil seepage but it might be bad pixels in cluster (a very common clk issue). Most TCU contamination results in car not going into gear and limp mode. If it is going into all gears it's more the cluster issue.

Good score...looks like a lot of cosmetic issues that can be corrected.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:07 AM

2000 CL500
Car goes into gear. It will shift into reverse and then drive, but once in drive won't shift back past neutral. I'm thinking it is in limp home mode.

Yeah, a lot of cosmetics to deal with, but that is easy. Looking forward to getting this on the road and enjoying it!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Congrats on the purchase great price with low miles. I would look at the TCU as a starting point. I would also recommend that you take it to a independent mercedes service tech or dealer for a full MB diagnostic checkout to begin your process. Cosmetic upgrades are needed, but if it won't drive who cares!!

As long as you have budgeted for the gremlins you will have fun!!!