CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:53 PM
DMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB CLK55
Unhappy Vibration

My 2002 CLK 55 currently has 3000 mi on it. At 2000 miles I replaced the stock suspension with Koni adjustable shocks and H&R Sport springs. Stock pads were kept. Ever since the suspension was changed, there is a vibration that can be felt thorugh the steering wheel and driver's seat between 35 mph and 42 mph. The real strange factor is the vibration occurs only in the morning or when the car has sat for a couple of hours. Once the car has been driven approximately 10 miles the vibration disappears. Has anyone on this board experienced this? Could it be just a flat spot in the left front tire? Cars was aligned when the suspension was changed and the vibration did not exist with the stock suspension.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:15 AM

CLK430
Vibration

I have noticed vibration in my 2002 430. The vibration is hard to explain, but at times it seems like the wheel has a flat. I took it to the dealer who stated it was the difference in the rear and front of the tires. It seems to happen when I am just starting to get on the highway.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your problem only occurs at specific times, I would doubt that it is suspension related. Explain your problem to the dealer, without mentioning the suspension, and see what they come up with. The reason I think you should not mention the suspension, is that they may easily say that you're right, and send you home with nothing. You'd be better off to get the complete engine check and if that doesn't resolve it, then ask.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:24 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: Vibration

Originally posted by Hotwheels
I have noticed vibration in my 2002 430. The vibration is hard to explain, but at times it seems like the wheel has a flat. I took it to the dealer who stated it was the difference in the rear and front of the tires. It seems to happen when I am just starting to get on the highway.
It sounds like your are experiencing tire flat spotting. This occurs when your car sits overnight and or when a hot tire is parked on cool surface such as concrete floor. Time parked, tire type/size vehicle weight and suspension sensitivity all play into this. There is a company that makes a device called tirecraddles www.tirecradle.com which supposedly eliminates this problem associated with performance tires, there is interesting info on this site. Since I've switched to S03's from the stock Pilots I've been experiencing a much more severe flat spotting in the mornings as well. Remember though that when our cars come from the factory the wheels and tires are balanced and match mounted by very expensive and sophisticated machines that measure certian variations that most local tires stores can't. However Hunter makes a 9700 that comes close to this...check out thier web site for the 9700 and then see if someone in your area has one of these machines.With regard to a different type of vibration in the steeering wheel only after the tires have smoothed; I've owned a 99 a 00 and now an 01 and the 00 and the 01 have been more more prone to a slight vibration in the steering wheel between 55 - 65 mph that comes and goes which my 99 never had. I spoke with a suspension wheel expert in CA and he confirmed that a set of wheels/tires off a 00+ clk 430 that had a minor vibration were perfect on a 99, he thinks that when MBZ made all those changes in the 00 + that they may have changed the type of bushings used in the suspension. This is all very frustrating as a BMW 330CI with sport package I used to own was smooth every day at any speed any time. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy my 430 over the BMW! I hope this info has been helpful.
RJC

Last edited by RJC; 03-24-2002 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320, Carrera S
Thanks for the post.

I have a 2001 CLK320 and have had problems with intermitent vibration. I think your explanation of hot tires on cold surfaces makes perfect sense.

Will the problem be less with a slightly higher inflation pressure?
Old 03-23-2002, 02:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Martin
Thanks for the post.

I have a 2001 CLK320 and have had problems with intermitent vibration. I think your explanation of hot tires on cold surfaces makes perfect sense.

Will the problem be less with a slightly higher inflation pressure?
You'd think so but I've tried it and it did not make much difference. I do know that the less air pressure the quicker the tire will heat and retain more heat. Go to the url for the tirecraddle and read about what takes place with tires and what their device does, it's quite interesting and they even discuss how to properly heat cycle new tires. Maybe with the new suspension for the 209 models (now with rack and pinion etc.) it might be less sensitive.

RJC
Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Vibration

Originally posted by DMC
My 2002 CLK 55 currently has 3000 mi on it. At 2000 miles I replaced the stock suspension with Koni adjustable shocks and H&R Sport springs. Stock pads were kept. Ever since the suspension was changed, there is a vibration that can be felt thorugh the steering wheel and driver's seat between 35 mph and 42 mph. The real strange factor is the vibration occurs only in the morning or when the car has sat for a couple of hours. Once the car has been driven approximately 10 miles the vibration disappears. Has anyone on this board experienced this? Could it be just a flat spot in the left front tire? Cars was aligned when the suspension was changed and the vibration did not exist with the stock suspension.
Now that your car has been lowered and shocks and springs changed it's more sensitive to any flat spotting that may have occured and as you drive and the tires heat and smooth out and the flat spots disappear.

RJC
Old 03-23-2002, 07:40 PM

CLK320
Apart from the vibration issue, how do you like the Koni/H&R setup? Does the car corner better then stock? Do you still have a "mercedes" feeling ride?
Old 03-23-2002, 10:15 PM
DMC

2002 MB CLK55
Vibrtation

Thank you one in all for taking the time to respond to my question. Since I am planning on going to 18" rims in the near future I'll just live with it As for the ride and handling-worth every penny. I don't notice much difference between the ride of the car with the old vs the new suspension during daily driving. It isn't until you start taking corners/turns at higher than normal speeds :-) that you notice a difference. The car just seems to hunker down and hold a nice flat track through the turns. The ride quality isn't much different, if any at all, from stock! I purchased the suspension components from EvoSport and had Best Value Tire in Huntington Beach perform the labor. Total cost-approximately $1174.00
Old 03-24-2002, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320, Carrera S
Corrected URL

Try

www.tirecradle.com

Martin
Old 03-24-2002, 05:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Corrected URL