CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How screwed am I? No key.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430
How screwed am I? No key.

"Lost" key for w208 2000 clk430. Searched everywhere, I have a feeling it was taken, but anyway it is as good as gone. Called dealer, they quoted $260 for new key. Not great but doable. Called second dealer quoted around same price but said car needs to be seen at the dealership for "infrared programming". Called back first dealership and they are now telling me the same thing! Apparently as of March this year the car needs to be at the dealership before a key is issued???

Problem is, I live in a remote Colorado town 3 hours away (driving speed limit) to nearest dealership. I got a few quotes and without the key, having to be put on a flatbed the cost is $850 just to get the car to the nearest dealership! It is going to cost me over $1100 for a new key!?!?

Anything I can do? Can I program one myself? I have bypassed EWS on BMW but I had the key, so I could start and move the steering wheel. I can provide any information to verify I am the owner of this vehicle if anyone wants to help me out. TIA
Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
You should be able to provide license and registration to the dealer or independent mercedes shop via email or fax to prove ownership. If you have never taken the car to either then you may be in real trouble. Unsure of what the programming they will do, you only need synch the key with the car. You can search for independent shops at the following link
http://www.benzshops.com
Good luck!!