CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid/Oil leaked ONTO trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E39 M5
Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid/Oil leaked ONTO trunk?

Hey guys,

I have a recently, new to me 2002 CLK320. The convertible top works great, however after using it I see some oil (hydraulic fluid?) left on TOP of the trunk, on the outside. I use it rarely and this might be the third or fourth time I've ever put it down. The previous owner didn't touch the top in many years.

What should I look at first?

I searched, however most of what people said the fluid leaked inside the trunk, this is on the outside.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
olegd,

welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new ride!

You most likely have a massive leak from the rear bow lock cylinder p/n A129 800 16 72, mounted in the rear bow lock p/n A124 770 04 26. Once the tonneau cover lifts, fluid can run off the tonneau cover and drip onto the trunk lid. That fluid most likely comes from the rear bow lock. Your best option is to get the rear bow lock and the tonneau cover lock (case cover lock) together in core exchange, as these two fail in short order of each other. See http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/w...-assembly.html. Core exchange lets you get this done quickly, without first sending out your parts for rebuild and waiting for them to come back.

Here are "joetwa's" awesome DIY instructions for cylinder removal and replacement: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/W208...eplacement.pdf

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Sounds like Klaus nailed it. Pop the retaining buttons on the carpet/fabric on the underside of the trunk, and trace the fluid back; 99% it's the rear bow lock cylinder; Joetwa's DIY is all you'll need to save $$ and do the swap yourself, if you choose.