CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question about Climate Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK-430
Question about Climate Control

I'm not sure what I did, or what happened, but for some reason the "EC" button on my climate control won't turn off. Whenever I get in the car and turn it on, even if I have the A/C off the EC button is still on. If I turn the car completely off and turn the key to the "on" position I then have control over the EC button once again. But as I said, everytime I start the car initially, it's always on. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 02-17-2004, 02:28 PM

Audi Q7
sorry, but wha is the EC botton?
can some one explain to me.. i have it but never used it
Old 02-17-2004, 03:51 PM

2005 SL500
Simon~
The EC button is the "Economy Mode" button, it is used to gain better fuel economy by turning off the A/C compressor. Basically it is the same as an "A/C On" button in any other car, except that the default for the MB is "A/C On", EC turns the A/C off. In cold months the A/C compressor does not need to be on, except for the fact that the compressor takes moisture out of the heated air, therby helping to prevent fogging of the windows. When EC is illuminated that means the A/C compressor is off and is fine for heating the car. Your A/C will not get that cold, however, during the summer if EC is on(ie-A/C compressor is off). Also, the A/C compressor uses alot of power, with it on (ie-EC off) so you should get improved gas mileage and a little more power by turning EC on (ie A/C off). Hope that helps!

Ethan-
As far as the "stuck EC on" problem, I cannot positively help. The default position is EC off, but the car remembers the last setting of the EC button when you turn off the car, so it will be the same when you turn it back on (the car). Sounds like an electrical/CPU problem. You may try unhooking the battery for awhile and hooking the positive plug to negative plug to drain residual electricity (CAUTION: DO NOT do this to the BATTERY, ONLY the connectors from the car), this SHOULD reset the cars memory (though you will lose other stored settings and have to enter your radio code) and maybe fix the problem.

Rick

PS- I was sitting in my car waiting for some food the other day and all of the sudden my trunk just popped open..... I know I did not press the button or anything. Strange???
Old 02-17-2004, 04:05 PM

Audi Q7
Wow
thank you so much for you profound explanation.

Greatly appriciated.

simon
Old 02-17-2004, 07:16 PM

11 ML350
When the EC light comes on, HOT or COLD weather, is means that your a/c systme has a leak and there isn't enough pressure to have the a/c kompressor running, this is a saftey feature.
The a/c will still work in the winter. You use a/c to defrost you windshied hot or cold.

Brian
Old 02-17-2004, 11:12 PM

2001 CLK-430
Originally posted by redcoupe
When the EC light comes on, HOT or COLD weather, is means that your a/c systme has a leak and there isn't enough pressure to have the a/c kompressor running, this is a saftey feature.
The a/c will still work in the winter. You use a/c to defrost you windshied hot or cold.

Brian
Thank you very much for this answer. Now I know what to look for... that makes perfect sense since it wasn't blowing hardly any cold air on the way home.

Is this a/c system also one that can be recharged myself or do I need to take it to the dealer to do it?

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 02-18-2004, 08:18 PM

11 ML350
You can recharge it your self, but you realy don't know how much you need to put in and it will just leak out again.
I would be better to just get the problem fixed now and safe money in the long run.

Brian