CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Reverse...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Reverse...

I noticed sometimes.. When I put the transmission in Reverse the passenger side mirror tilts down towards the rear tire for convenience in parking situations.. Problem is it doesnt happen all the time.. Or maybe I am crazy...
Anybody else notice this? Or is there something I am doing to have it move on its own?
Old 03-28-2002, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Here's why it only happens sometimes :0)

It will only tilt down when your power mirror selector switch for the right mirror is depressed. If it's set so you can move the left mirror, it won't tilt down when it's in reverse. Hope this helps :0)
Old 03-29-2002, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Or when you accidentally put your wallet on the console and then jam the car in gear forcing your wallet to cram up against the mirror adjustment knob. I hate it when I do that.

BTW, it's pretty a lame design to only rotate the passenger side mirror down when the selector is set to the passenger side. I usually set my selector to the driver's side so I can keep SUV lights out of my face.

And while I'm on it, why the heck can't MB engineers figure out how to rig up a photo-sensor so that my headlights come on at dusk? My P.O.S. used 85 Eldorado even did that. It also released the parking brake when you put the car in gear. Is anyone out there listening???
Old 03-29-2002, 10:02 AM

2002 Capri Blue CLK Cab
Angry Headlights

Pigman,

I completely agree with you in regards to the lights coming on at dusk. My dad took my car for a spin and he was making fun of me because I paid so much for a car that doesn't have that feature. His 94 Towncar and 01 Explorer both have it.

Damn it Mercedes!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 12:31 PM

CLK55 Cab
Since we are complaining why can't your headlights turn off when you turn your key off like BMW.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:13 PM

HOLD ON ARE YOU KIDDING???

I DO NOT OWN A MERCEDES, BUT I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT THE NEW CLK. AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THE LIGHTS DO NOT TURN OFF AFTER YOU TAKE THE KEY OUT?? WHERE IS THE LUXURY??? MY FRIEND HAS A LEXUS GS AND HIS TURNS THE LIGHTS OFF AUTOMATICALLY AFTER LIKE 20 SEC. TO GIVE YOU ENOUGH TIME TO WALK TO YOUR DOOR. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS. PLEASE ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS ANY GRIVENCES PLEASE POST THEM. I WANT TO KNOW. THANKS.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Way back in 1963, my folks had a Buick Riviera that had the auto on headlights - nothing new! My daily driver (Nissan Pathfinder) has the auto off headlight feature. But, I ask - so what? Why are these features considered "luxury" items? Are we getting so lazy, or so spaced out that we forget to turn our lights on and off? Sorry, but I just don't find these items important, just as I don't find the number of cupholders important. A car is a machine meant to be driven, and meant to be used by knowledgable operators. Pretty soon we will be hearing complaints that the car isn't luxurious enough because it doesn't brush your teeth in the morning. Geez, I guess I am just old fashioned!
Old 03-30-2002, 01:41 AM

I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM

RP430
I know what you mean, that maybe people are depending too much on the car to do things for them. But I dont look at it that way. What I want is for a car that cost probably 10-20 grand more than a similar car from another company. for example an E class compared to a lexus GS. I would like to have all the luxuries and features offered in the GS plus more in the E class. It is not about being lazy is just about feeling that you are paying for what you get. You just want to not have to worry while you are at having dinner did I remember to turn the lights off. Just my opinion
Old 03-30-2002, 03:15 AM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Hey RP430, that's pretty funny . . . coming from someone who paid extra for the optional CD changer. But seriously, sometimes I just want to get in my car, start it and drive off without have to fiddle with a parking brake or headlights.

When I let my friends drive my CLK they have to figure out where the lights are. And then, when I get the car back, the left side markers are lit up because my friends don't know that Hans and Franz need two extra positions on the headlight knob when parking on some mythical narrow roads in the Alps so that my CLK, that has been built to US specs anyway, doesn't get side-swiped in the dark of night.

I mean, c'mon. I've got a ridiculously useless expensive electric headrests that constantly unadjust themselves when I move my seats and electric water squirting machine guns on the front headlights, but I don't deserve a $.50 dusk sensor or a $30 brake release solenoid?

I really love the AMG motor, but unless Mercedes gets some progressive engineers, I'll just put a supercharger on a Lexus the next time I need a new fast sedan. (Don't even say BMW; I don't wear backwards baseball caps.)
Peace. -pigman
Old 03-30-2002, 09:09 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Hey RP430, that's pretty funny . . . coming from someone who paid extra for the optional CD changer
Uh, excuse me, but do you know of some other way to to have a CD player in a Mercedes?? Oh yeah, scrap the factrory audio system and go aftermarket. Sorry, I can't see the relationship of a CD changer to auto on/off lights.

I bought a Mercedes because of build strength, quality, looks, road manners and safety. What gizmos it has or does not have were not a consideration for me and I find that I live just fine as is.

BTW pigman, those
ridiculously useless expensive electric headrests that constantly unadjust themselves when I move my seats and electric water squirting machine guns on the front headlights
are safety features not "luxury" items. The movement of the headrests keep them in a position relative to the seat adjustment to better prevent you from getting a broken neck if someone rearends you. The headlight washers help keep the salt/sand/road grime off your lights in the winter so that you can see farther down the road - luxury or safety - you decide.

I guess what I am saying is that the lights thing and brake release, while probably should be included at this price point, no way detract from the overall demeaner of the car and are rather insignificant in the total scope of things. Certainly they are not points to ridicule the vehicle on as some have done in this thread. I think that if someone attempted to knock my car because it did not have auto on headlights, I would just ignore the statement, considering the attempted point as being spoken by one who was not in tune with the total scope of things. As always, only my opinion.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:50 PM

The headlight washers are required on all cars with Xenons, get a clue.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:32 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
> The headlight washers are required on all cars with Xenons, get a clue.

As far as I know, that's only in Europe (ECE Regulation).

And as for my headrests, if I move my seat forward, my headrest moves up. If I move my seat backwards, my headrest moves up. Yeah, nice "safety" feature. I guess I need to visit my MB service manager yet again to get my high quality vehicle fixed.

From what I've experienced with my car, the AMG side of MB absolutely rocks, but the other side needs some help.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:50 PM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
pigman, it sounds as though you are dissatified with your Benz. Why not trade it in and save yourself some grief?