CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Back fog light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
Back fog light?

Still getting the check lamps warning on the dash. I've looked at every single bulb that I can find. What I'm trying to figure out is what the second detent is on the headlight control? I turn the knob to the right two clicks to turn on the headlights. I pull the switch to the first detent and front fogs turn on. Pull to second detent and nothing.

I looked at the left rear circuit board for the tail lights and found part of the circuit was lifting up. I softened the plastic tabs and reseated the circuit and put it back together. All the lights there work fine. I'm truly at s loss right now.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
The 2nd detent is for the rear fog light. (Drivers side rear only. There should be no bulb installed on the passenger side rear in US vehicles)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
The 2nd detent is for the rear fog light. (Drivers side rear only. There should be no bulb installed on the passenger side rear in US vehicles)
So which bulb is it on the left side? I have 3 bulbs in that housing. They all work, but there is no change when I turn that switch on. Maybe there is an incorrect bulb installed? I don't know what should be there.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by GAU8mech
So which bulb is it on the left side? I have 3 bulbs in that housing. They all work, but there is no change when I turn that switch on. Maybe there is an incorrect bulb installed? I don't know what should be there.

The fog light bulb is in the "Trunk" Lense. The lens is retained by 2 10mm nuts. Open your trunk, and you'll see the 2 tiny nuts behind the lense. Remove both and simply lift the lense out. Then just replace the bulb.

Here is what the fog light looks like when illuminated:

Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
The fog light bulb is in the "Trunk" Lense. The lens is retained by 2 10mm nuts. Open your trunk, and you'll see the 2 tiny nuts behind the lense. Remove both and simply lift the lense out. Then just replace the bulb.

Here is what the fog light looks like when illuminated:

Then, I think you helped me realize the problem. That bulb works but it isn't that distinctive. What is the bulb number that fits there? It seems the previous owner did some hinky wiring. There are extra wires spliced in the trunk lid to make a bulb work over in the right side as well. Looks like it's wired as parking lamps. I'll have to pull that garbage out of there. Thanks for the assist!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:06 PM

2002 W208 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by GAU8mech
Then, I think you helped me realize the problem. That bulb works but it isn't that distinctive. What is the bulb number that fits there? It seems the previous owner did some hinky wiring. There are extra wires spliced in the trunk lid to make a bulb work over in the right side as well. Looks like it's wired as parking lamps. I'll have to pull that garbage out of there. Thanks for the assist!
Ok, so the problem is solved. A previous owner wired the fog light into the parking light circuit and piggybacked the right rear fog light socket with it. They put in a smaller bulb similar in brightness to the parking light brightness. I pulled the wires that they added, got an 1157 bulb and installed it. So now the bulb lights only when the second detent is engaged and it's way brighter than it was before. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.