CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Damn Chrysler!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 11:02 PM

2001 CLK-430 Black
Damn Chrysler!

Whats up with the new Chryslers looking very similar to the MB's? I sure hope they dont take the MB Brand and bring it down to same level (perceived that is)!
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Some new Chrysler models do use parts from the Benz bin. The crossfire (i think it's called that?) uses mainly SLK components (engine, interior, console) and I think it borrowed some of the suspension/chassis setup from the E-Class too. But I don't think MB is using Chrysler parts....yet (which I don't think they'll do), but you never know.
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:49 AM

Re: Damn Chrysler!

Originally posted by kimber45
Whats up with the new Chryslers looking very similar to the MB's? I sure hope they dont take the MB Brand and bring it down to same level (perceived that is)!
First , Mercedes and Chysler then Aston Martin, Jaguar with Ford .....what is the world coming too maybe honda will buy porche and there will be a next generation 911 type R
Old 03-13-2004 | 03:00 AM

lol toyota will more likely to buy porche man. toyota has lot more $$ than honda.

but then it could be a good thing. they can put the 2jz tt engine in the 911 turbo that engine capable of 1200hp with some internal mods. running at 30+psi. then porche will dominate the exotic world!!
Old 03-22-2004 | 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Porsche isn't going anywhere. They don't need to mass produce cars, because that is not the type of company they are. Even with the intro of the cayenne and the boxster, they still sell less than other manufacturers. Why? True prestige, true performance, and absolution over other vehicles. The Flat six has been used for 40 years in the 911 platform. The only difference is the litre size. There is some talk about putting the next 10 cyl that is going into the cayenne in a few years, but don't really see that happening. Its not all about HP, as porsche has proven time and time again, its about balance, which they are one of the only car manufacturers that offer such balance...

320 ponies of pure performance.
Old 03-22-2004 | 09:00 PM

Porsche isn't going anywhere. They don't need to mass produce cars, because that is not the type of company they are. Even with the intro of the cayenne and the boxster, they still sell less than other manufacturers. Why? True prestige, true performance, and absolution over other vehicles. The Flat six has been used for 40 years in the 911 platform. The only difference is the litre size. There is some talk about putting the next 10 cyl that is going into the cayenne in a few years, but don't really see that happening. Its not all about HP, as porsche has proven time and time again, its about balance, which they are one of the only car manufacturers that offer such balance...
altho porches are good balanced cars. but many cars in the same class as the carrera handle better than it. like the honda nsx, the viper gts with huge tires. the vett can run just as fast in a lap time and many people won't like it but m3 does handles very well. i remember there was an article few years ago comparing best handling cars over 33grand. and m3 was first. while nsx is 3rd i think and carrera was like second last while boxer is last. i was actually suprised when i saw that article. and i believe many people will more likely to buy the car with more horse power. there was a old saying "hp sells cars, tq wins races" but i say "hp sells, tq curve and lateral Gs wins races"
Old 03-23-2004 | 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
altho porches are good balanced cars. but many cars in the same class as the carrera handle better than it. like the honda nsx, the viper gts with huge tires.
Fortunately, those cars aren't in the same class as the Carrera. And for true auto entusiasts, you don't buy the porsche to 'beat out the competition". If you have to be told why to buy a porsche, than your just not ready for one.

For the last 40 years, Porsche has made the most well balanced "true sports production cars" on the market.
Old 03-24-2004 | 12:35 AM

Fortunately, those cars aren't in the same class as the Carrera. And for true auto entusiasts, you don't buy the porsche to 'beat out the competition".
Carrera 4S Cabriolet $93200 - 315hp/ 273lb
Honda/Acura NSX-T $89000 290hp/224lb
Viper gts $80995 500hp/500lb

The price range put them in the same class, out of all carrera is most expensive. but nsx and viper can both lap faster than 4s. maybe u say i used the cabrio but just to let you know all 3 cars are targa or convertable. yes I respect your loyalty to porsche. but you have to know the reality. price doesn't prove handling, suspension geometry is a science of it's own.

and yes you are right about u don't buy porsche to beat out of competition. it's simply a car that make people think you are rich. and I don't find that being good. I don't really like viper either until I saw the article saying it out handled many cars in it's class. and yes carrera is in the class with nsx and viper. you can check this link.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/co...titors&src=vip

sorry about goint off topic this should be about clk, I love my clk and I don't think i would trade it for a carrera i rather have the nsx.

ps. A real sports car is not about turning heads. it's about true performance and a true sport car feeling.
Old 03-24-2004 | 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
ps. A real sports car is not about turning heads. it's about true performance and a true sport car feeling.
Well said. And BTW, if you didn't want to turn heads, why did you buy the CLK. It gets more attention than my porsche.

Again, you don't buy the porsche to let people think you are rich, you buy it because it has been the same platform for 40 years, and still, still beats out OVERALL every other car in its class. Look at the design, inside and out. Porsche = functional, honda/viper = AC Delco / plastic / very unattractive.

Really though, this is an MB forum and if you really want to check out the reasons to buy a porsche, go to:http://www.rennlist.com
Old 03-24-2004 | 08:39 PM

if you didn't want to turn heads, why did you buy the CLK
well clk is not a all out sports car and more people know about benz than porsche. since 1/10 people can't pronounce it properly.
i bought my benz for the luxurous ride that can be my daily driver. porsche is no daily driver. viper don't even think about it. but nsx there are a guy in toronto where there are usually many snow drove 500000KM in his 92 NSX. that's about 320000Mile with no major problems.

Look at the design, inside and out. Porsche = functional, honda/viper = AC Delco / plastic / very unattractive.
i find viper interior very plastic and unattractive and most of the crap on functional. nsx has functional side scoops, front opening most of the body opening is funcional. the interior are all hand stiched hand picked leather. in 1990 honda built a factory for nsx only. the quality is unbeatable. again I even find Benz quality maybe below some of those high end honda. NSX interior maybe dated but everything is more functional than it could be. Everyone knows 911 interior is plain and don't look like it's in a 100k car beside the cayanne with nice interior.
Old 03-24-2004 | 09:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Damn Chrysler!

Originally posted by kimber45
I don't think the 300C or the Magnum look anything like a Benz, the Pacifica doesn't either.

Crossfire does, but that's it.
Old 03-25-2004 | 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
i find viper interior very plastic and unattractive and most of the crap on functional. nsx has functional side scoops, front opening most of the body opening is funcional. the interior are all hand stiched hand picked leather. in 1990 honda built a factory for nsx only. the quality is unbeatable. again I even find Benz quality maybe below some of those high end honda. NSX interior maybe dated but everything is more functional than it could be. Everyone knows 911 interior is plain and don't look like it's in a 100k car beside the cayanne with nice interior.
Bottom line, EVERY production "sports" car strives to have Porsche success. PERIOD.. Every review, every magazine, every online comparison, compare all production "sports" cars to the 911 platform. WHY? Cause it is so successful.
well clk is not a all out sports car and more people know about benz than porsche. since 1/10 people can't pronounce it properly.
You hit one thing right on the head, the CLK is NOT a sports car. And no, not more people know about Benz than porsche, more Benz's are sold in this country because of mass production. Porsche does not need to "Mass produce" their vehicles. They tried it with the boxster and left their core buyers, very angry.

Again, MB is great for what it is, I like it, but also think it could use a lot of improvment.