CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS / BAS & ESP Lights flash on and off while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK320
ABS / BAS & ESP Lights flash on and off while driving

Total newbie here looking for help.

I have a 1998 CLK 320 with 166k miles on it, original brakes, and now while driving the ABS lights starts flashing. No issues with braking power. However, the power windows, turn signals, hazard light function and radio all do not work while this is happening. The dash lights go from bright to dim as well. Looking at the pads on the car, there seems to be plenty left. Looking for advice if anyone has experienced this as well.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
First check all tire pressures-----are they all the same!!----next step wheel speed sensors and how will you check that without the tools-----OOOOOOOOOOp's
Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320 Cab
Have you checked your alternator output? Battery health? Seems like something electrical is going on with your CLK. With all of the computers and modules in cars, a faulty alternator or battery can cause your vehicle to do all sorts of strange things.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
As a followup to Plutoe, while I agree with his first two suggestions, I don't believe after reading your symptoms, that's your problem, but his last suggestion, re: using the right tool, is key in resolving your problem.

Specifically, the wheel speed sensors provide information to the drive train CANBus (e.g. engine and transmission management), as well as to the interior CANBus (e.g. radio volume, turn signals, window motors etc.).

Hint: If there was an issue with speed senors, your transmission would be stuck in a mode of 2nd gear, to prevent further transmission damage.

The CANBus is a network that communicates messages between the central control microprocessor and all of it's controller nodes. Additionally, voltage encoding is used and both Can-buses interconnect.

While mechanically, your W208 is quite bullet proof and reliable, the gremlins, as they age, seem to be in the electricals.

If the speed sensors were an issue, I would think you would be in 'limp' mode (e.g. stuck in 2nd gear).

Most of your symptoms are related to the interior bus, which leads me to believe the issue is wiring or a downstream fault.

In your case, the tool Plutoe mentioned , would be to use the MB STAR software, to properly diagnose the problem, which can be done by dealers and many qualified independent shops. In the US, this would cost around $100 - $150. While the diagnostic trouble codes maynot pinpoint the exact fault and correction, it will isolate it sufficiently, that with some troubleshooting, you'll be good to go.

Lastly, I understand, given the market value of a 1998 CLK320, you don't want to spend $$$$$ in repairs.

Last edited by Serndipity; 09-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.