CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

buying 1999 CLK 430, advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying 1999 CLK 430, advice needed

Hello all,
I've been hawking the forums here for the last few months preparing to buy my first 430 and it seems the moment has finally come. I know pricing questions are a little difficult, it's a black 99 430 with 45,000 miles, great paint, very good interior, 225/45 front Michelin Pilot Sport (need to be replaced late summer, seems that they were under inflated), 245/40 rear Michelin Pilot Sport, small crack in the air dam... here are some pics
http://www.extricate.com/kirk/
any ideas on a good price? he's asking $29,000.
Now the real question, what mechanic should I have check this out? Should I have it towed to an independent MB mechanic or a dealership? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
Looks like a very nice car. First thing to consider is if it still has the remainder of the factory warranty. If yes I think the price is good even though it would probably only have about 5,000 miles left on it.

Also is that a scratch on the passenger side rear panel ? If it is, is it something that looks like it can come out or something that would have to be repainted. If it has to be repainted you are probably looking at a minimum of $500 for paintwork on that panel.

I would definitely recommend having the car checked out by an MB dealer and if the previous owner had all his services done at MB you can check to see if he was up to date with all of his services. While you're there they can look up anything that was done or replaced on the car as well.

Is the price reasonable? That would all depend on:

1. Warranty ?
2. Scratch ?
3. the outcome after getting it checked out by a dealer

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 AM

Yes, forgot to mention the warranty, which will cover another 36,000 miles. I have not looked over the paperwork but it's a warranty from a local dealership which should be applicable nationwide. I don't think that is a scratch, just a photo illusion. I had a good friend( owner of the M-Coupe) with me who would have noticed this ( I hope
Old 03-30-2004, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
Sounds great, the warranty makes a big difference.

Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 M Coupe
Somewhere, tutterrow is out driving his new CLK430...

Ruttrow, enjoy the new whip.

Yo! MTV! Pimp mah Ride!

Green suede leather roof liner. Clear tailights. Switches! PS3 with 23" LCD screens.

Originally posted by ELENI
Also is that a scratch on the passenger side rear panel ? If it is, is it something that looks like it can come out or something that would have to be repainted
It's a camera thing. It's just like the reflection from the trim running alongside the SUV next to it.

There was a "scuff" or two, but I feel that they will come off easily, and in person, the paint was really nice. Deep, good shine, and most importantly, especially for a black car, it was not swirled up by a bad detail job.

The car was in great shape. Looked good from 100' feet away, and looked good up close.

Welcome to the addictive world of german car ownership.

PS Nice job on the pics on the website. Real nice presentation.

Last edited by count_schemula; 04-04-2004 at 07:13 PM.