CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Replaced Climate Control - Now Engine Fan on High whenever Engine is on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes CLK 320
Replaced Climate Control - Now Engine Fan on High whenever Engine is on.

Hello Everybody!

I know nothing about automobiles. Let's get that out of the way!!

I have a 2002 320CLK with approx. 50,000 original miles. Had some broken buttons
on climate control and a mechanic suggested that it be replaced to repair a/c.
My extremely unprofessional opinion is that when buttons broke, weather was cool, so I just stopped using a/c. Months went by and when I finally figured out how to fix buttons, freon had leaked? out. Would not allow me to leave EC mode. Anyway, non-dealer mechanic located a fully working climate control unit and installed and added freon. I picked car up. A/C working beautifully. After picking up daughter from school, she commented that the car was extremely loud. Left engine on and got out of car----she was right!!!
When I got home, I listened before turning off engine and it was continuously loud--as if the engine fan is on high all of the time. When I start car, it comes on immediately and at high. Stays on until I turn off engine. Immediately stops then.

I don't think that this is a coincidence, but I know nothing.

Can anyone help???
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The sad thing is that it could be all sorts of things---for example a faulty fan controller, a faulty AC unit, a faulty thermostat and did you mechanic code the used AC unit to the car(this assumes the part numbers of the AC unit were not the same)----and because of your second sentence why arnt you at a shop asking those questions!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2002 CLK 430, 2005 CL600, 2009 Smart Fortwo
I have same year CLK 430 with 1 broken "auto" button. Can the control be fixed or just replaced?