CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2004 clk240 roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK240
2004 clk240 roof

Hi all, was wondering if you could help?
I have been reading through the posts on here, and they are very helpful. My 2004 clk roof is my problem. Was playing up a few times, would go down ok but would not go back up. Kept getting message visit workshop. Left it for an hour or so, tried it again and would close. Took it to a local Merc repair garage and told to keep the joints lubricated. One day, put roof down, would not close. Left it a couple of hours, still no joy. Left it over night, no joy so took it back to garage. Had it on diagnostic machine after closing roof manually and said that he can't find any fault so must be the pump.
Been looking for a workshop manual but I can't find one, and Haynes said they don't do one!!!!! Could anyone help and point me in the right direction on how to try and solve this problem before summer comes please..

Thanks in advance for your help.
Norm
Old 04-05-2017, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Normski66

Your 2004 CLK is a W209 model and should request further help in that forum.

The W208 forum only covers CLK cabriolets through model year 2003.

The power roof operation/mechanics between the W208 and W209 are different.

Based on the information you provided, as in the W208, your W209 very likely has tension cables. These cables (e.g. typically a left and right side), connect between to front and rear bows.

Usually the MB STAR diagnostic software will not indicate a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) unless the point of the roof stalling, tripped a position limit switch.

When the roof is closed, all of the folding joints in the roof's frame butt together in a straight line and the cables are under tension. When unlatching the front bow to open the roof, the tension provided by these cables, further lifts the front bow upwards, which opens up the frame joints, allowing the power roof hydraulics to continue opening the roof.

Over time, these cables may either break or stretch. Replacement cables are typically less than $100 each.