CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Deck Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK 230 Kompressor
Rear Deck Subwoofers

I am about to undertake a stereo upgrade on my partners W208 230K.

I've read that the standard BOSE subs are mounted upside down and are 165cm units. Judging for a couple of pictures, they also appear to be dual voice coil units.

Can anybody confirm the above and does anybody have the dimensions to hand, especially the mounting depth.

I'm thinking of replacing these with a pair of JL Audio 6W3v3 Subs, and want to make sure that there is adequate space to do so.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 PM

2000 CLK430; 2006 C230; 2007 SLK55; 1999 SLK230k
Dotcom,
The rear shelf speakers are not dual voice coil.
However, in my setup, i found them possibly bridged as they had an odd resistance level compared to the other speakers.

They are also sitting in a plastic speaker carrier that snaps into the rear deck. --You'll have to find a speaker with a thin edge to fit the stock carrier or drill/mount 8" speakers instead.

I am in a similar situation and went with the Orion 6.5" speakers, but they didnt fit the stock plastic carrier.

If you or anyone knows a good mid-bass speaker to use, i'd like to know!
I was also considering the 6W3, but would need to make certain they fit since those aren't cheap speakers!
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM

W208 CLK 230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by oOh_Its_Grinch
Dotcom,
The rear shelf speakers are not dual voice coil.
However, in my setup, i found them possibly bridged as they had an odd resistance level compared to the other speakers.

They are also sitting in a plastic speaker carrier that snaps into the rear deck. --You'll have to find a speaker with a thin edge to fit the stock carrier or drill/mount 8" speakers instead.

I am in a similar situation and went with the Orion 6.5" speakers, but they didnt fit the stock plastic carrier.

If you or anyone knows a good mid-bass speaker to use, i'd like to know!
I was also considering the 6W3, but would need to make certain they fit since those aren't cheap speakers!
Thanks for the reply. I really need to see one of the OE units in situ to make a decision I think. I'm guessing that possible the earthquake SWS-8 may well be a better fit given the plastic ring. I suspect the JL 8W3v3 maybe too deep.