CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rim Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 mercedes e300d
Rim Replacement

The rims on my 2000 CLK are AMG rims, stock, but they are damaged. I have had them straightened several times, but they are too soft and continually get bent. I would like to replace the rims with another brand, preferably not a soft rim that is easily damaged hitting potholes or railroad tracks. I'd also like to get non-staggered rims.
I have asked the local dealership, they offered to sell me new AMG rims and did not recommend changing the sizes. Another mechanic who works on my car said I have to be careful since replacing the rims with non-staggered sized rims because it will cause codes to be displayed. I know there are numbers inside the rims that will determine whether or not this can be done, but was wondering if anyone has replaced their rims with non-staggered sized rims, if any codes were displayed, or perhaps a good recommendation for anyone who has successfully replaced their rims. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
I have a set of 18's that I am can sell you if interested. They are off of a CL and are a perfect on the CLK. 5 spoke thin.
The following users liked this post:
joe b (05-16-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I am amazed you have had to get your rims straighened more than once, the roads must be awfull ! I have a friend that emigrated to Boston from the UK and he now drives a 4 x 4 as he also said how bad the roads get !
The following users liked this post:
joe b (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 mercedes e300d
Out of curiosity, are those 18's staggered? Also, when you put them on did any codes appear?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Joe B the rims are staggered (8.5J front 9.5J rear). Here is a link that you can use to find information on stock rims and yes you can go with the same size rim on as this was the standard on the CLK320 without the AMG kit.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/merc...lk-class/2000/
Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
In addition to having the necessary clearances, between the inner/outer fenders, an important issue, to avoid malfunction/codes, is to make sure that the total rolling circumference of the new set up, is within a small percent of the factory recommended set up (e.g. wheel and tire size).

Reason being, is that the wheel speed sensors, provide important inputs to the numerous vehicle controllers (e.g. transmission, braking, cruise control, electronic stability/traction control programing etc.).

In some cases, only the left front speed sensor provides an input (e.g. accurate vehicle speed and milage). In other cases, the speed sensors at all four wheels, provide inputs, which are compared and checked for plausibility and when the signals, differ from the programmed range, you will likely have issues (e.g. the ABS/ESP system uses inputs at individual wheels, as well as irregularities between the front/back axle wheels).

There are numerous combinations that will work well.

Following are some links to help you determine a correct wheel/tire setup.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/inf.../mercedes-benz

https://mbworld.org/forums/tire_rim_calculator.php

https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Additionally, I would suggest checking you local Craigs List for an inexpensive set of MB wheels, that will work well.