CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

BAS, ABS first, Then ESP comes on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
BAS, ABS first, Then ESP comes on

Last year I had this very common problem with these warning lights, along with no brake lights and the car stuck in park. Searched the forums, and replaced brake light switch.Problem solved.
Now, a year later, the BAS and ABS lights came on while driving. When I started the car again they went off. It was good for 2 weeks, then they came on and stayed on as soon as the car is started. As soon as the car is moving about 5 mph, there is a warning beep and the display flashes ESP-visit workshop. That will only happen when the car is moving, while the other lights come on as soon as the engine is started.
Just before all this started, I was doing about 60 one day when the car began to vibrate strongly and the speed dropped down to 40. I let off the gas for a few seconds, and hit it again and the problem stopped.
So I'm beginning to think this isn't the brake light switch again! Or maybe it is?

Last edited by rob8; 05-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I would agree its likely the brake switch again. When you replaced the switch did you get a genuine Merc one? if not then I really recommend doing so, as OEM parts will fail eventually and usually quicker for most electrical components.

Next time you are in the car, pay attention to when you push the brake pedal, see if the light comes on when doing so.

I had the ESP light flash up in my car at least 3 - 4 times a year , but I knew it was just the brake switch and the lights would go away the next time I started the car.
The following users liked this post:
rob8 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM

2003 CLK320
Yes, it was a cheapo aftermarket part. I'll check it and get back again.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM

2003 CLK320
A1EK, you were right! I replaced the brake light switch with a genuine MB part and after a quarter mile of driving the lights went out. No more error messages on the panel.
Lesson learned. Never mess around with aftermarket parts.Thanks so much!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by rob8
A1EK, you were right! I replaced the brake light switch with a genuine MB part and after a quarter mile of driving the lights went out. No more error messages on the panel.
Lesson learned. Never mess around with aftermarket parts.Thanks so much!
Perfect, glad to hear you have resolved the issue.

My rule of thumb is for any precise elecrtical part such as the brake switch or MAF, heater blower resistor etc then go original, if too expensive then get original second hand.

For mechanical OEM parts you can get away with certain items like water pump, or engine mounts etc....