CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2002 CLK320 problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK320
Question 2002 CLK320 problem

Currently experiencing a problem I can’t figure out. My car does not want to crank and takes multiple tries to get it to start, and when it finally starts I get the abs and bas lights on my dash, but they would go on and off as I drive. It sometimes doesn't want to unlock using the key button so I figured it would be the battery but I got my battery and alternator tested and they were both fine since bought my battery about 6 months ago. I figured it would be the starter so I replaced the starter and it started without a problem for a couple days but the abs and bas light still came on. And now it started with the whole not problem of it not wanting to start I was recently driving and got a check engine light on as I was driving but my car was still driving fine After I started my car again no check engine light came on and hasn't came on again. I scanned for any codes with an OBD2 but came back empty. I took the ECU out and checked for any damage but it seemed perfectly fine visually( no cracks or burns). My car also sometimes signals right when I switch the indicator to turn left, sometimes it does work to indicate left, and sometimes it goes back and forth between left and right. It's embarrassing to be driving like this and probably not safe .Just today I was driving home from work with a bluetooth OBD2 scanner on (BAFX) and my car suddenly braked as I was driving, luckily there was no one around me. I checked my phone for any codes and it had some powertrain code on but after a few minutes it disappeared and was never to pop up again. I wasn’t able to get the exact code since it does not show up no more. I'm not planning on driving it until I get it fixed so hopefully I solve this issue soon.

Any ideas of what it could be? Any help would be appreciated

P.S I own a 2002 CLK320 with about 135,000 miles on it.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W208 CLK320
CLK320Alexis, did you sort out your starter issue? The rest of the problems sounds like you've got gremlins in the electrical. All joking aside, I had something similar with the no crank when my Crank sensor on the transmission housing was about to go. It would usually take a few attempts of turning the key for the car to even want to crank. The second time it happened I was luck enough to actually get an OBDII code so it made it easier. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check some of the wiring in the trunk that goes to the turn signals as far as your left, right and right , left turn signal issue. You may have a wire where the insulation is broken and causing arching with another wire, thus the turn signal cross over. Good luck and hope you find the culprit.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK320
Thumbs up

After double checking everything I ended up figuring out the problem. Turns out the cable connected to the positive terminal of the battery was really loose and every time I would hit a bump on the road it would cause all of those problems. Not sure what the cable itself does but after tightening it all problems went away.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W208 CLK320
Glad to see you figured out and sorted the problem out without having to spend extra cash.