CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Introduction and Diagnostic Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1998 CLK320 Coupe, 1999 CLK320 Coupe, 2009 C300 6-speed, 2000 SLK230 Designo
Smile Introduction and Diagnostic Question

Hello all,

I have been driving, servicing and restoring old classic cars for many years (Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, etc.), but am relatively new to Mercedes-Benz (only one prior, a SLC 5.0). In terms of diagnosing a problem, I'm great with pre-OBDII cars. As far as 1996 and newer, while I have borrowed code readers and fixed a number of things on Jaguars and Volkswagens before, I have never really "taken the plunge" to really learn OBDII cars.

Recently, I have taken a liking to the early CLK W208 coupes, and I purchased a couple of them -- a 1998 and a 1999, both CLK320 Coupes. They are both in good condition, and it is my intent to keep them for a long time -- one as a daily driver, and another to be treated as a collector car.

I just bought the '98 last weekend and drove it home to Toledo, Ohio, from Atlanta, Georgia. Car operated flawlessly. I have been driving around town the past few days, too, with no issues. Today, under absolutely normal conditions with no perceptible change in vehicle behavior, the Check Engine Light came on, with the message warning about "Engine Electronics".

To satisfy my initial concern, I will stop at the local AutoZone and read the codes; however, I want to make a one-time investment in a good diagnostic tool specific to Mercedes.

I have searched Google and other forums to gain a basic understanding of what is out there as far as diagnostic tools, but I am unclear as to which system will work best for a pre-2000 CLK (iCarsoft, Autel, Star, etc.). It seems to me that as a '98 and '99, my cars are too early for some of them.(?) When I look at eBay, I see a wide range of prices, and am not sure what components I would need, or if I am even looking at tools that are compatible with my car.

So your input on what is the best tool for specifically a 1998 and 1999 CLK would be much appreciated. Also, what I should expect to pay, who are the trusted sources to purchase from, etc. I would love to buy something in the $200 range for an aftermarket tool; or if I were to pay more for the Star system, I am really clueless after looking as what I would need if I were to go with the Star system, what to expect to pay, and what the benefits are (and if I would ever really need them).

If you have read this far, thank you, and I appreciate your advice!

- Tony K.

P.S. -- Anyone here in the Toledo or Cleveland, Ohio areas?

1999 CLK320 Black Opal with Ash interior

1998 CLK320 Ruby Pearl with Ash interior

Last edited by Tony K; 07-05-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
That model is diagnosed via the k line and you need an early model of DAS which has the HHT software integrated into DAS which is used to diagnose the vehicle---simply get off the couch and do a google search there are thousands of sites selling the product, but not for 200 bucks.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1998 CLK320 Coupe, 1999 CLK320 Coupe, 2009 C300 6-speed, 2000 SLK230 Designo
Always nice to be welcomed as a newcomer with "get off the couch." Thank you for that.

To anyone willing to gladly answer: Is the K-line the 38-pin connector? And if so, what is the OBD-II port under the dash good for (anything beyond the government mandated codes?)? When you say "that model", are you referring to the '98, the '99 or both?

Honestly, there is a lot of information swirling around out there between forums and sites like mercedesmedic, but difficult for someone who is new to piece all together.

Building on my original post, I see several highly rated handheld systems in the $200 range; are there any that access the other systems (ABS, transmission, airbag, etc.) in the '98-'99? Or is the official Mercedes DAS the only system that can? I don't mind paying $500-$1000 for diagnostic software, but I don't plan to ever reprogram anything, am not keen on old laptops and expiration dates, and if I can get everything I need for less, that's what I do.

To anyone who owns a '98-'99 CLK: Anyone using a tool other than the DAS? And if DAS is the only way to go, who are the best vendors to buy from, and what is a fair price for everything ready to go (not interested in Chinese malware)?

Thank you,

Tony K.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by Tony K
Always nice to be welcomed as a newcomer with "get off the couch." Thank you for that.

To anyone willing to gladly answer: Is the K-line the 38-pin connector? And if so, what is the OBD-II port under the dash good for (anything beyond the government mandated codes?)? When you say "that model", are you referring to the '98, the '99 or both?

Honestly, there is a lot of information swirling around out there between forums and sites like mercedesmedic, but difficult for someone who is new to piece all together.

Building on my original post, I see several highly rated handheld systems in the $200 range; are there any that access the other systems (ABS, transmission, airbag, etc.) in the '98-'99? Or is the official Mercedes DAS the only system that can? I don't mind paying $500-$1000 for diagnostic software, but I don't plan to ever reprogram anything, am not keen on old laptops and expiration dates, and if I can get everything I need for less, that's what I do.

To anyone who owns a '98-'99 CLK: Anyone using a tool other than the DAS? And if DAS is the only way to go, who are the best vendors to buy from, and what is a fair price for everything ready to go (not interested in Chinese malware)?

Thank you,

Tony K.
If its just reading codes and clearing them once the problem is fixed, I just use the cheap OBD2 with a round pin adaptor via bluetooth to your phone.

Dependant on how much information you need to know or what you would like to test you may or maynot find that usefull.