CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Water leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 230 CLK Kompressor cabriolet
Water leak

Hi There. I have a year 2000, 230 CLK Kompressor Cabriolet. I've got a couple of problems:

1. The heater motor stopped working around the same time water bagan splashing from under the glove compartment to the passenger footwell. When I started unscrewing screws and removing panels, I removed the tray beneath the heater motor and water poured out of it. I've got a new motor and resistor, but before I fit it I want to get to the root of the water problem. I assume it's something to do with the rainwater run off. Any ideas?

2. When I'm putting the roof down it gets so far then sticks and needs a little push to continue.

Any useful information about these little (but annoying) problems would be very gratefully recieved.

Kind Regards

Sam
Old 08-05-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
#1:

The holes in the bottom of the drainage box, which is located on the passenger side of the engine bay, are likely clogged with leaves etc.. When this happens, water will continue to fill up the box, which will then overflow into the passenger side interior.

You need to take it apart and clean out the blockage in the lower section. See enclosed picture.

#2:

The roof's tension cables may have broken. When you unlock the front bow, the tension is released, which will cause the bow to raise up at least 8". This opens up the roof's frame joints, located above the driver/passenger windows, allowing the roof to open.

If the joint does not sufficiently open, the hydraulic lift cylinders will struggle while trying to open the roof, which could burn out the pump motor. See enclosed picture.

The replacement of broken cables can be DIY with new cables costing less than $100, each.

If the joints open properly, the next possibility would be that your lift cylinders may not produce enough force to open the roof and should be inspected for fluid leakage.
Attached Thumbnails Water leak-ac.jpg   Water leak-joint.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Serndipity:
burgca (08-08-2017), flapjack (11-26-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
[QUOTE=sam.brough43;7230610]Hi There. I have a year 2000, 230 CLK Kompressor Cabriolet. I've got a couple of problems:

1. The heater motor stopped working around the same time water bagan splashing from under the glove compartment to the passenger footwell. When I started unscrewing screws and removing panels, I removed the tray beneath the heater motor and water poured out of it. I've got a new motor and resistor, but before I fit it I want to get to the root of the water problem. I assume it's something to do with the rainwater run off. Any ideas?

2. When I'm putting the roof down it gets so far then sticks and needs a little push to continue.

Any useful information about these little (but annoying) problems would be very gratefully recieved.

....guess I'll answer in both posts...
The water under the glove compartment is very common....the drain line is clogged...open the hood and on the passenger side just under the wiper blades is a drain...usually clogged with leaves...thread a long piece of wire down the hole...comes out under car...
The following users liked this post:
burgca (08-08-2017)