CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1998 clk W208 F4 fusebox f5 wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk w208 1998 elegance
1998 clk W208 F4 fusebox f5 wiring

hello, after searching a lot on this site i could not find info i needed so i decided to post here, hope you guys can help me.
W208 1998 CLK, for unknown reason red and yellow wires coming out from trunk fusebox (F4) directly from fuse#5 melted and fused all wires along.
ive managed to rewire other wires, its not important, the problem is, that red and yellow wires coming out straight from f5 goes along with brown wire all the way up to right side passenger seat, than goes up under dash where im unable to get it.
i need to find the end point of this wires and point where they get separated (if they do). where does red yellow wires from f5 ends and does it separates somewhere from brown one?
problems its causing is that "open trunk" button is always lit and i have no rear dome, glove compartment or trunk light
English is not my native language, if i mispelled something and caused confussion am all up to explain as best as i can
thanks in advance

Last edited by ey3sburn; 10-21-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: to add year of car
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
I've enclosed a .pdf file with details of the F4 fuse assignments in block A (e.g. fuse #'s 1 -9).

As indicated, fuse #5 is associated with the anti-theft-alarm (ATA) system (e.g. sensors, infrared transmitter/receiver, siren, as well as the rear dome and trunk lamps). Note that there are 3 breakout branches, via connectors 5A, 5B and 5C.

Based on what you have said, my suggestion would be to carefully examine the brown wire insulation along the wiring harness, because the color brown wire is always vehicle ground on MB and a potential short circuit.

Note: If you have a cabriolet, fuse block F4 will also have fuses in block B, which are required to operate the power roof (e.g. fuse positions #'s 10 - 13).

I trust that this information will enable you continue your efforts to further troubleshoot/repair.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W208 fuses F4 assignments.pdf (601.1 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-21-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added note regarding cabriolet models
Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 AM

clk w208 1998 elegance
Originally Posted by Serndipity
I've enclosed a .pdf file with details of the F4 fuse assignments in block A (e.g. fuse #'s 1 -9).

As indicated, fuse #5 is associated with the anti-theft-alarm (ATA) system (e.g. sensors, infrared transmitter/receiver, siren, as well as the rear dome and trunk lamps). Note that there are 3 breakout branches, via connectors 5A, 5B and 5C.

Based on what you have said, my suggestion would be to carefully examine the brown wire insulation along the wiring harness, because the color brown wire is always vehicle ground on MB and a potential short circuit.

Note: If you have a cabriolet, fuse block F4 will also have fuses in block B, which are required to operate the power roof (e.g. fuse positions #'s 10 - 13).

I trust that this information will enable you continue your efforts to further troubleshoot/repair.
hey, first of all thanks for help, i much appreciate it!
i guess i was not exact about problem and caused confussion.
i cant inspect/reach red yellow and brown wires further, they go up under passangers side dash and im unable to reach them, thats why i need directions i.e end point of this 3 wire, to check how far its melted and rewire from good point back to fuse box.
note that my car is not cabrio, im not sure what do you mean by 5c 5a and 5b, but F4 only has fuses from 1 to 9 as i remember, ill check it in few minutes and update with pics

Last edited by ey3sburn; 10-22-2017 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add further info
Old 10-22-2017, 03:38 AM

clk w208 1998 elegance
update 1

here is pic of red yellow and brown wires and where they go to the point i cant reach them any more. red and yellow wires come directly F4 f5fuse in trunk, cross brown wire and all 3 qires go under driverside dash. how can i trace them? where are their end point? should i take out front dash completly?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:54 PM

clk w208 1998 elegance
UPDATE #2

so i finally managed to trace down wires all the way. this might be useful for someone so here it goes
red and yellow wires come directly from F4 f5, go up right, connects with brown with red stripe wire and come out from hole where rear right passenger seat is (from shoulder height) goes down and straight all the way till it goes up under front passenger dash. from there it goes under central console box ( or brain or central module whatever it is, bunch of wires and few fuses) all the way straight under rain drain and comes out near main fuse box, goes under it and up to left side of chasis, connects with 2 brown wires (ground) and goes down in left side of engine bay, where it ends at top of front left wheel.
thats the route.
problem is, it does not connect neither way with rear dome light (which still does not work) and i guess its just ATA sistem wires which i dont use (or gonna use)
also does not work neither of front interior lights, except make up and luggage compartment or whatever its called
cant find new way to examine problem. can someone help?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:04 AM

C208
Location of siren and how to replace it

There is a nice video how to dismantle the siren on youtube:
Cheers!