CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Oil Light comes on at high revs

Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk w208 1998 elegance
Oil Light comes on at high revs

hello
so after revving on high speeds about 5-10 mins later oil light comes on
oil level checked on cold - little low than middle
when engine is already hot after revving oil light comes on after 2-3 mins driving
mechanical guy said some kind of filter under engine in (dont know english name, they call it carburetor here) could be dirty and needs cleaning
whats your thoughts guys?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
For openers, I would consider what your mechanical has suggested.

Our engines have 2 oil filters and what he's referring to is the first stage 'oil screen', which is at the bottom of the pick up tube, located inside the oil sump pan.

Its purpose is to prevent any large scale debris/grime, from entering the engine lubrication system. If it becomes clogged, especially at higher RPMs, will result in insufficient engine lubrication and failure.

The procedure would be to drain the oil and remove the oil sump pan, upon which you'll be able to see and check the condition of the oil screen. If it's clogged, due to improper maintenance and/or materials (e.g. sludge, using paper secondary oil filters etc.), I would replace the screen vs. using chemicals.

The cost to do this would be labor, plus new oil and new oil pan gasket.

However, reading the symptom/details of you post, there may be other issues.

One would be an faulty oil sensor, Without getting into the details of how it works, it monitors/checks the oil level, temperature and quality and when defective, will generate a false positive warning, on your dashboard display.

The other is that after supplying sufficient oil to the engine, if the small return journals have become partially clogged, the oil remaining topside drains slowly down and a good sensor will think that the engine is low on oil.

Wish I could help more, but diagnosing / troubleshooting on the internet, is difficult.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK320
If you recently did an oil change you might of not put the full amount in. I have an 02 clk320 and when I took my car to do an oil change they only added 7 quarts back . When I checked the oil level it was okay but after driving at high rpms I kept getting the check oil level light. I would pull over and measure but it would come back ok. I then added one more quart after constantly getting the light and it solved the problem. I measured my oil with the dipstick and was still in the clear. I now do my own oil change to prevent any issues like that from occurring again.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
CLK320Alexis.......thankfully our W208s still came with a oil dip stick and you did the right thing.

Additionally, within a few days after changing my oil, I've gotten the oil level low, add 2 quarts, which was a false positive.

That because the oil sensor measures the oil's capacitance, which was to low with clean oil.