CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Instrument Cluster Vertical Lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Instrument Cluster Vertical Lines

My display within the cluster (1999 clk430) has been good until it started having vertical lines throughout the entire thing, with numbers occasionally visible, it used to be intermittent but now its just vertical lines throughout with a hint of numbers behind the lines. All pixels work, but seems to be a loose connection possibly, are there any guides on DIY this? I've read something about ribbon cables or something. Thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Old 12-29-2017, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Andres.....is that a picture of your primary cluster display (e.g.which indicates total vehicle mileage and/or faults) , or just the temperature display (e.g. located below the engine/fuel analog meters) or clock display (e.g. located below the analog RPM dial)?

If it's only the temperature and/or /clock displays, which has been a very common W208 issue( e.g. displays random and/or missing digits), it's correctable at low cost via DIY or rebuild.

If it's the center display, as both an long time forum member and original owner......the ribbon cable in this case, is more more secure/fastened and I've yet to read about any issues with it.

However, given the vertical lines, it seems that either the main cluster display component, it's controller chip and/or the inter-connections, began failing intermittently and have since totally/finally failed.

Hopefully, before spending $$$$$ at a dealership, for a new/coded cluster, if you're familiar with electrical cleaning/re-soldering electronic connection techniques, your repair may be $0.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks for the reply, this is the one (and only) display screen in the cluster. Are there any recommended places to take my cluster for rebuilding? I don't have the skills or equipment to do it myself. What is this about a controlling chip? Where is that located?
Old 12-30-2017, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The picture you're showing is not the same cluster found in a W208 CLK.

As mentioned in my prior post, the W208 cluster has 3 display panels, as shown beginning at 1:40, in the below cluster repair video.

This video explains how to DIY replace the faulty ribbon cables, which you can purchase for around $5.

Alternatively, others on the forum have sent the cluster to BBA Reman https://us-shop.bba-reman.com/ for repair, with excellent feedback regarding their service. I believe, they charge around $150 to replace just the ribbon cables.

However, if the problem is a poor solder joint or faulty display unit, it will cost more.