CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dash Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Dash Repair

Anyone have any experience having a dash repositioned or replaced? I have an intermittent rattle which may or may not be the result of a windshield replacement. My dealer has done everything except pull the dash back and line the area between the dash and windshield with felt. Apparently doing this on the CLK requires a lot of work, including taking the center console apart. My tech feels that the repair could possibly create new rattles and that it may not be possible to get everything to line up correctly when reassembling. I know a few people on the board have had this done, but in the end did it make things better or worse? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Make sure the rattle is coming from the dash. I remembered my old E320( traded) which I thought had a nasty rattle and buzzing sound from the dash. After a thorough investigation the noise was coming from a defective driver side visor. It was a easy fix comparing to striping the dash apart.

John
Old 04-14-2002, 03:10 PM

CLK430
My dash was replaced when

they found a crack around the outline of the passenger airbag. I have not heard any rattles or squeaks and in fact, the occasional squeaks from before have disappeared.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:50 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK 320 Cab
I thought my ratle was from the dash and it was actually from the sway bar.

Fletcher Jones said they couldnt find it. House of Imports spent all day locating it and fixed it for free.

I replaced my instrument cluster due to discoloring. Again Fletcher Jones said it was dues to the fact that I spilled Armor All into my dash (which I dont use). It was on the top part of my instrument cluster and it would be physically imposiible for liquid to defy the laws of gravity and seep upwards. House of Imports said it was obvioulsly a warranty issue and fixed it for free.

By the way, I posted before how I complained to Fletcher Jones about their service and they were all concerned and were going to notify me of the changes they were going to make (about 2 months ago). never heard back from them. thats OK, becuase they will never hear from me either!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:02 PM

2001 CLK 320
Dash

Thanks for the responses. At this point I'm reasonably sure it is from the dash, but the problem with intermittent noises is getting them to happen for the tech. Since we were never sure if the rattle was from the door, seat or dash, the approach was more or less an attempt to do everything possible to say the door, then move on to the seat, and finally the dash because of its complexity. My decision at this point hinges on whether to risk attempting a repair which may, or may not make things better or worse. My tech (who is great) is against repositioning the dash and lining with felt because of the complexity, but will do the repair if I ask. I guess I'm just trying to ascertain the probability of solving the problem or creating new ones.