CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

High-Flow Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
High-Flow Air Intake

What's the best High-Flow Air Intake for the money?
Does anyone here have one? What about RBTECH?

I been looking at the RennTech but $2500 is alot for two K&N Filters.

Thanks

Last edited by BroadSt Bully; 04-15-2002 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:16 AM

2000 CLK 430
No one here has aftermarket high air intake?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
I have the RennTech. It is much more then two filters (by the way, they dont use K&N filters).
Old 04-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Until a company designs an intake that goes around the engine, rather than over it, I would not recommend doing anything other than changing to either a K&N or ITG filter (which is what Renntech uses). As long as the intake continues to pass over the engine, the air will continue to heat up, resulting in less density. I have experimented with other intakes that pass over the engine, and lost power off of each.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:13 PM

2012 GL350
The Renntech intake works well with HP gains around 10hp. They work even better with the Renntech Chip, which will get you about 30hp.

Oh, the intake also looks awesome. see https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4704

Supposedly Ansonnn Motorsports sells them at a discount. I'd give him a call if you are intrested.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:41 PM

2000 CLK 430
Originally posted by Mach430
Until a company designs an intake that goes around the engine, rather than over it, I would not recommend doing anything other than changing to either a K&N or ITG filter (which is what Renntech uses). As long as the intake continues to pass over the engine, the air will continue to heat up, resulting in less density. I have experimented with other intakes that pass over the engine, and lost power off of each.

Thanks

How's the ITG vs K&N?
Old 04-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Equal gains, but the ITG filters better.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:49 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Mach430
I try not to but heads with any one here, but when I read such misguided information as you have stated I must take exception. I guess you are a "bolt on super tuner"? How many Mercedes engines have tuned you know; bored and stroked,fabricated produced parts for? Your best answer is something that you sell cheaply guess what there are better answers than an K&N filter. You are FOS with the assumption that you cannot improve air flow except routing around the engine. I will not waste my time educating you about Renntech products but I do expect more impartial information out of a moderator. BTW how much did you buy the moderator title for?
Randy
Old 04-17-2002, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Being that you sell Renntech cars, your bias is obvious. I maintained an impartial viewpoint on this topic by not mentioning any company's intake in my post. My post did not say that airflow could not be improved if it passes over the engine, it did say that it could be better if it were to go around and bypass the heat rising off the engine. Is that NOT correct? By recommending that the filters be changed to either a K&N or ITG filter, I have CLEARLY stated that airflow can be improved while passing over the engine.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:23 PM

2012 GL350
What is blatetly obviuos is that if Evosport doesn't carry a product it's not worth getting. Over and over in this board is evidence of this. Over and over has Renntech proven it's track record by testing in major magazines. Renntech does not make false claims to any gains in horsepower.

How can a moderator be unbiased when he sell products for the company he works for?

Until a company designs an intake that goes around the engine, rather than over it, I would not recommend doing anything other than changing to either a K&N or ITG filter
...well that is until evosport carries a high flow intake. Then it will be the best thing since Kleemann shocks.

BOGUS
Old 04-17-2002, 03:51 PM

Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
LOL

Guys, take it easy on Mach430. He's already spread his shame on the other forum...

Just because he likes reading brochures and likes selling for comission, it doesn't mean that he's wrong... right? WRONG.

He's just a rich kid who thinks he knows it all, so ...don't bash on him....TOO MUCH.

Old 04-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

True, we do not yet have a cold-air intake available for the CLK. And when we do, we will not know if it is better than a competitors system until it is dyno tested. While we hope for this best, it is always possible that it will be a failure, and not be released. Airfilters have been dyno proven in this forum, and can be bought at any aftermarket shop and most local car shops such as Pep Boys.

Like Renntech, Kleemann, Carlsson, Brabus, and many others, our products and work have also been featured in many articles.

Kleemann shocks truely are great, Mr. Vanos, personally track tested them in an E class. Addtionally, other members of the board, (such as Sleestack just last week posted about his car on the track), have posted their feelings about the Kleemann shocks-- all were positive.

As a moderator, it is my responsibility to try and maintain the general well-being of this forum. I include my knowledge of cars, especially the CLK, in my posts in attempt to benefit the forum users. What the reader chooses to do with my posts is up to them. I have not put down any product in this post. I simply mentioned changing the airfilters, and became "flamed" for that.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:01 PM

2000 CLK 430
Thanks again Ben for the HONEST advice.
You have never made a dime from me; however, you have always answered all questions even when they were the obvious.

"Can we all just get along"

Rodney King

Last edited by BroadSt Bully; 04-17-2002 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:32 PM

2012 GL350
Thanks again Ben for the HONEST advice
Honest it might be. Correct? well, maybe not.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:00 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by BroadSt Bully
Thanks again Ben for the HONEST advice.
You have never made a dime from me; however, you have always answered all questions even when they were the obvious.

"Can we all just get along"

Rodney King
Did you get an HONEST answer.The real answer is that there are many things that can be done to improve the Air flow into your engine, not just air filters? The heat from the top of the motor has little effect at full throttle that is what you are talking about performance? A performance air box is sized and shaped to help the air flow and not create excess turbulence or reflux. There are not many after market Air Boxes for the Mercedes on the market. One that I know of is a standard Mercedes air box covered in carbon fiber not much there. I'm not halking the products I sell but if you want it great. I just don't enjoy reading posts that say directly that they don't add performance. I don't sell fake products nor would I.

Randy

Last edited by renncpe; 04-17-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:01 PM

2000 CLK 430
Just curious what's the construction of the Renntech Air flow system. Are the hoses much larger than OEM? How does it differ from the OEM/Factory Air box. Please give details.

thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 06:30 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Just curious what's the construction of the Renntech Air flow system. Are the hoses much larger than OEM? How does it differ from the OEM/Factory Air box. Please give details.

thanks
The basic shape and the volume of the chamber are quite diffrent from the OEM part. The Air box is carbon fiber, the snorkels are the same size but that is not a bottle neck. We use ITG filters made for Renntech. They are a triple foam filter as opposed to a paper filter or cotten.

There is a noticable change in intake sound it's much deeper sounding, and you will also notice a better responce to the throttle.

Randy
Old 04-17-2002, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WTF? So many people getting bent out of shape. I have no comments on the Renntech products as I have never used them. If they are anything like my MKB parts (oh wait, are some of your parts made by MKB?), I'm sure they are great. Variety is a privilege I'm glad we all have.

As for Evosport and the Kleemann products, regardless of what you might think about Mach 430's biases, I think they are fantastic. Evosport was always communicative and responsive (including Mach430) and were meticulous about their work. The Kleemann SC works seamlessly and coupled with my MKB parts have my 4.3liter V8 pumping out over 480 hp and 450lb/ft of torque... feels good to me.

The Kleemann shocks are a huge improvement over the Bilstein HD's I was running. I was really surpirsed at how well my car handled at Buttonwillow Raceway.

As for this thread... leave me out of the personal stuff.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Moderators: There is a CONFLICT of Interest here!

Moderators have many functions. One is to be objective, neutral and fair on issues of technical nature, which are discussed/presented in this forum.

Clearly, objectivity is compromised, when moderators become advocates for products and realizing personal gains.

Additionally, moderator's signature cannot be an ad for product promotion benefitting the moderator with commissions. Those ads may seem innocent to some, but they are ADS, sending a message that obviouly lacks objectivity in product selection, irregardless of the quality of product promoted via the moderator's signature.

My suggestion: Where there is the appearance of a conflict of interest, the Moderator should recuse himself and not comment.

If that is not done, this forum will lose its credibility and become a screaming billboard for a couple of moderators product lines.

The following page might enlighten the management of this forum re:

Ethics and Conflict of Interest, by Michael McDonald

http://www.ethics.ubc.ca/mcdonald/conflict.html

My comments are suggestion intended to improve this forum's objectivity and credibility. I have learned of lot here. I am grateful for the help and advice that I've received here from modrators and CLK enthusiasts.

Let's make this forum better!
Your comments are welcome.

Thank you.
Karl
Old 04-17-2002, 06:55 PM

2012 GL350
Well said Karl!

Let's keep this board as an open exchange of information. Not as a data repository for increasing sales.

I just don't know, but......Why is everyone an expert when it comes to cars and sex?
Old 04-17-2002, 08:13 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Guys...you can do business with Evosport but deal with Ben/Mach430..............

If you ever need anything just call brad because he know his stuffs un like this little 20 yrs. old kid named Ben don't know **** except getting his INFO from reading brochures and what he think. I used to think he know what his stuffs but until he came down to meet me so i can help him install his Kleemann shock and springs for FREE. He then give me an Evosport painted len as a give for install his spring and shock, then turn around and steal it back !!!!! Trust me, don't do business with him. Everyone know how "****" a person he is at mbnz.org, that's why he does not visit there anymore. Ben, when the last time you actually look at AMG engine like the C32, Slk 32, Clk 55 etc. they all have two air intake tubes. You are unbelievable MAN !!!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:49 PM

2000 CLK 430
Wow there's alot of Mud sling just for some information about an air flow system?

Let's make this Web Forums a peacefully one.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 10:01 PM

I can't because the true must be told. Hers'a another reason why Mach430 think thw twin air inlet tube is no good because it create the air to "COLLIDED"!!! LOL....LOL...LOL...LOL...
Old 04-17-2002, 10:10 PM

Here's another BAD experienced from Evosport. They're all sound just like Mach430, they think that only their's products are the best. Let me remind you !!! You guys are just a RETAILER, not a Manufacturer !!! So you have no such FACTS to back up your claim !!!http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/r170/vthread.asp?messid=60877
Old 04-17-2002, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Wow there's alot of Mud sling just for some information about an air flow system?

Let's make this Web Forums a peacefully one.

Thanks
I hope that my post re Ethics and Conflict of Interest did not contribute to the mud slinging.

I was posting it as a seperate thread. Then, an eager-beaver Moderator moved it immediately to the "suggestion", topic, that only has one other posting. That is the equivalent of sweeping the problem under the rug or hiding it in the closet.

That is why I posted it here in this thread, a prime example of what I am addressing.

Take a look at the bone-bank or closet, where I was stuffed by an eager-beaver Moderator. It was moved immediately, after posting it as a SEPARATE thread here on this CLK208 forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/forumdisp...=30&forumid=12

It was only after this closet stuffing move, - making my suggestion magically disappear - because of this misuse of power of a moderator, did I decide to post here, to provide more transparency to what goes on here!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High-Flow Air Intake