CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Desperately need help!! CHECK OIL QUALITY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
Desperately need help!! CHECK OIL QUALITY...

I posted the link below when i noticed high glycol (antifreeze) in the transmission.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post7379151

i replaced the radiator, flushed all the fluid, filled properly etc. i drove the car as normal with no transmission issues after the fix. Car runs perfect as usual but still using antifreeze with no apparent leaks visible. I put in UV dye that was safe for antifreeze and drove the car until the low antifreeze level was displayed which is about 250 miles. I thoroughly checked with UV flashlight and found nothing.

the only other issue i had was that my AC started causing condensation on the windshield when the auto climate control was running. I could feel some cold AC air coming through the defroster and i could hear a light tapping. After running hvac test, The FTC code was 417 which is the duovalve. I picked up a used one and replaced it. The code is clear and the tapping is gone but as sometime while cycling the ignition to the #2 position, i had a red alert message that said oil sensor defective. I cycled off and on and it did not show again so i ran the oil level test, it’s showing 2 quarts low. I never used this check because i always used the dipstick previously. Sure enough, oil level is fine. The oil is about 1500 miles old and looks very clean.

This is where things take take a turn, i let the car idle and now i get the message “check oil quality” in all red. See attachment for picture.

Check oil quality

in summary, i had the glycol issues, a phantom leak and now the oil sensor messages. No check engine lights, car runs perfect, no smoking, oil is not milky. I cannot find anyone who has had the same symptoms. My worst suspicion is head gasket but it seems i should have some negative symptom other than losing antifreeze. If water is getting in the engine, my oil level should be very high but the oil level has not moved at all. I am planning to take it to a mechanic to test the antifreeze and oil for contamination and a pressure test on the coolant system.

any help would be very welcomed at this point.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Get ride checked by your indy!
GL
2MERKS
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
If you are using a dipstick to measure your engine oil (and it is fine), and your instrument cluster is giving you that warning with no fault codes... You most likely have a bad oil level/quality sensor. Not hard to replace if you have some mechanical skills.