CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

m3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Because even though ldangeli gave up, and we rejoiced, he came back again to show us all what an idiot he is.

Again.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I agree with all of your post vraa, except for the Bush/Cheney banner.LOL
Old 06-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by jddumas
I agree with all of your post vraa, except for the Bush/Cheney banner.LOL
LOL! For me currently I don't have a choice because I'm under 18, but only two years left

It's just temp until I find time to make a decent sig.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
How about Kerry/Edwards? I'll find you one if you'll change it. LOL
Or a full size picture of the girl below your name!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Unfortunetly I'm not a Kerry/Edwards supporter so that's out of the question

And the girl, well I'm already on the edge with that avatar as itself!

Trying to sneak shots of my cousins W208 to turn into my sig. He has some nice Carlsson's and it look pretty with the black car.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Don't Mess With Texas!

We may have a lot of gun$ out here in SoCal, but in Texas they have bull's eye accurate aim and they will shoot back!

I'm not a Kerry supporter either....go Arnold!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK 320
Originally posted by SoCalCLK
Don't Mess With Texas!

We may have a lot of gun$ out here in SoCal, but in Texas they have bull's eye accurate aim and they will shoot back!

I'm not a Kerry supporter either....go Arnold!
yup
Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 PM

2001 CLK 430 Silver
Yup
Old 06-18-2004, 12:36 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
Texas is a great state, I agree. I have a bunch of family in Houston.

I'm not really a Kerry fan either I was just kidding. I do like him more than George W. though. I was actually hoping John Edwards would be the Democratic nominee, but I'd still be happy if he was #2.

Is there a MB club in Houston? I'll be out there the week after the 4th of July to visit my grandparents and to Austin to visit a client. Just wondering if there might be a meet going on during that week somewhere.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
bunch of cowboy gun ho illiterate apes!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:30 PM

1999 CLK 430
You are talking literally of fractions of a second around one lap on a track. Point being, unless we're all professional drivers (most of us aren't), the difference is really negligible.

Chappy,

Although on face value, the time differential appears minimal, it is quite deceiving. A couple of factors that are found much deeper in the testing data is that the CLK 55 that was tested ran a 5 speed manual tranny,(not the sluggish auto versions we are used to in the states, damn those lucky europeans). This allows for full advantage of the torque rates that the CLK has over the M3. This is one reason the overall track times are so close.

However, the M3 really dominated the braking and slalom testing.

The last factor that is huge was track and air temps. The BMW test favored a 61 degree F track temp. This affords much better tire grip and consequently, handling. The CLK test was held during a chilly 37 degree F track temp. Though less grip would be available, the motor would certainly generate more horses with the cool air temps. Based on the data, the CLK would certainly enjoyed much better top end / straight away speeds while the M3 would have been much quicker in and out of the corners based on tire grip.

There's also a good chance that since there was a 7 month difference in testing dates, the same driver did not run each car.

It's always more complicated than it seems isn't it? So, the debate rages on...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who and where are you getting your information from?

Originally Posted by varainstructor
You are talking literally of fractions of a second around one lap on a track. Point being, unless we're all professional drivers (most of us aren't), the difference is really negligible.

Chappy,

Although on face value, the time differential appears minimal, it is quite deceiving. A couple of factors that are found much deeper in the testing data is that the CLK 55 that was tested ran a 5 speed manual tranny,(not the sluggish auto versions we are used to in the states, damn those lucky europeans). This allows for full advantage of the torque rates that the CLK has over the M3. This is one reason the overall track times are so close.

However, the M3 really dominated the braking and slalom testing.

The last factor that is huge was track and air temps. The BMW test favored a 61 degree F track temp. This affords much better tire grip and consequently, handling. The CLK test was held during a chilly 37 degree F track temp. Though less grip would be available, the motor would certainly generate more horses with the cool air temps. Based on the data, the CLK would certainly enjoyed much better top end / straight away speeds while the M3 would have been much quicker in and out of the corners based on tire grip.

There's also a good chance that since there was a 7 month difference in testing dates, the same driver did not run each car.

It's always more complicated than it seems isn't it? So, the debate rages on...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Drove the clk for the first time in a month since I purchased the S4, and man, it truly is not a "drivers" car. It is definitely a cruising, straight line auto, which is great, but just not for me. The soon-to-be wife has been driving it mostly and she loves it. But that should tell you something. She also loves her jeep. Honestly, I know y'all love the CLK and rightfully so, but to even try and compare it's handling to anything else is futile. it can't be done. I know for most, when coming from an auto with so much less to offer, the MBZ feels like the most amazing thing on the planet. But coming from similarly tuned autos the MBZ just doesn't feel the same. Say what you will, but IMHO that is how it feels..
Old 07-18-2004, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Drove the clk for the first time in a month since I purchased the S4, and man, it truly is not a "drivers" car. It is definitely a cruising, straight line auto, which is great, but just not for me. The soon-to-be wife has been driving it mostly and she loves it. But that should tell you something. She also loves her jeep. Honestly, I know y'all love the CLK and rightfully so, but to even try and compare it's handling to anything else is futile. it can't be done. I know for most, when coming from an auto with so much less to offer, the MBZ feels like the most amazing thing on the planet. But coming from similarly tuned autos the MBZ just doesn't feel the same. Say what you will, but IMHO that is how it feels..
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
Old 07-18-2004, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
Somethings will never change. I take it this is the first "tuned" auto you have owned, and that is the reasoning behind your blah, blah, blah, because you know it is true. Again, I am not knocking the MBZ, it's just more for my 5'2'' wife...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
I have owned a 2001 Audi S4. Prior to that was messing a lot with Civic Si and VTEC engines with NOS (it was very convenient that NOS used to be HQ in Cypress, CA prior to being bought by Holley).

The Audi was very high-tech and great low-end torque, but handled LIKE A COUCH. The S4 is an iron pig and not a driver's car. The CLK has a better weight distribution (although not by that much) and with the BRABUS springs, it handles a lot better than my B5 S4.

If your replacement car for the CLK was a new Porsche 996 C4, then talk on this board all you want about handling. But being that you bought the new S4 (which is better than the Old S4) and how "wowed" you are by this new S4, really de-values your opinions on handling to me.

"Blah, blah, blah" means everytime you post YOU SAY THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by varainstructor

Chappy,

Although on face value, the time differential appears minimal, it is quite deceiving. A couple of factors that are found much deeper in the testing data is that the CLK 55 that was tested ran a 5 speed manual tranny,(not the sluggish auto versions we are used to in the states, damn those lucky europeans).
To my knowledge, the only manual that was ever put into a W208 CLK55 was for the F1 Pace cars. Are you suggesting that an F1 Pace car was used for their testing?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
I have owned a 2001 Audi S4. Prior to that was messing a lot with Civic Si and VTEC engines with NOS (it was very convenient that NOS used to be HQ in Cypress, CA prior to being bought by Holley).

The Audi was very high-tech and great low-end torque, but handled LIKE A COUCH. The S4 is an iron pig and not a driver's car. The CLK has a better weight distribution (although not by that much) and with the BRABUS springs, it handles a lot better than my B5 S4.

If your replacement car for the CLK was a new Porsche 996 C4, then talk on this board all you want about handling. But being that you bought the new S4 (which is better than the Old S4) and how "wowed" you are by this new S4, really de-values your opinions on handling to me.

"Blah, blah, blah" means everytime you post YOU SAY THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER.
Then your knowledge is definitely limited. The Audi handles like a couch? Yes, I will admit the 01 handling was limited or not at all impressive, but even the 01 compared to the 430 was a more repsponsive feel. Maybe you should drive the 04'. Then make your biased judgement. And a civic with NOS? Oh whoops my bad, your knowledge is outstanding.

My previous statement stands, the 430 would feel like the greatest car on the planet, coming from that platform type.

You honestly think, stock to stock that the 430 handles better? Ok, I guess you like the recirculating, loose touch with the road feeling the the MBZ has to offer. Enjoy...
Old 07-19-2004, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont think anyone is saying or can say that the clk handles better than the m3.. That cant be the argument...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by J Lucas
I dont think anyone is saying or can say that the clk handles better than the m3.. That cant be the argument...
I have said that so many times, and so many others have argues. Now to avoid another banter, to each's own. I don't feel that the CLK430 handles as well as other vehicles, others think otherwise. I guess it is all mind over matter, and if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. :-)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Has anyone ever seen this website, and do you trust this guy?

www.flixvault.net

Great Site...