CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car pulls to the right

My barely used 01' CLK (only 3000 km) suddenly developed a problem a few days ago as I drive out of my house, I noticed that the car was pulling to the right side.

Let go of the steering wheel and the car gradually pulls to the right. Checked tire pressure and everything is ok, looked at the front suspension parts and everything looks ok too. The car has never had any repair work done to the front suspension, and neither has it fallen into any pothole or gone over rough roads that could misalign the front suspension.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
The only thing I can think of is alignment. Or maybe one of the wheel weights fell off of one of your wheels (its possible)
Old 05-17-2004, 05:11 AM

Was thinking alignment too, but how could alignment get so out of whack just like that?

I dont think its a wheel weight since there is no vibration at any speed.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So what do you think it is? Alignment seems like a pretty good guess to me..

Originally posted by amgmercedes
Was thinking alignment too, but how could alignment get so out of whack just like that?

I dont think its a wheel weight since there is no vibration at any speed.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:55 PM

Apparently Mercedes claims this is normal. The car pulling to the right is a safety thing. The reason behind it is if a driver were to fall asleep or for whatever reason pass out then the car will pull to the right away from traffic. Your guess is as good as mine whether that's true or not.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 AM

Was thinking someone here could have an answer, if not then I will just have the alignment checked.

With regards to the car pulling to the right as a safety feature, it does make sense, but it should happen very very slowly, not as abruptly as it does with my car. And the problem was not there when I got it, it only appeared last week.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:16 AM

W208 55 & R170 230
The funny fun is.,, I have this problem too,

the aligment is corrcet and within spec.

the car won't pull to the right if I hold on to the steering wheel.,it only pulls very very slowly if I am not holding it
Old 05-18-2004, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
That's a bunch of ....

hooey. Right drift? Yes, most MB cars with larger wheels and tires may have a right drift. A pull? No, they shouldn't . Most likely issue, especailly if you have shorter springs and larger wheeels and tires, is alignment related, but is most likely caused by improper front camber. It's a recurring problem on the 208. 209, and 211 cars. These cars are quite sensitive to camber, and there is usually not enough adjustment in the stock setup to get adequate camber for your front wheels to "stand up". For my car, the best fix was installing the factory "crash bolts" which gives the alingment tech much more flexibility in getting the front camber back. If you're car is all stock (ride height and wheels/tires), then a simple alignment at at quality shop may get you back on track.... If not, I bet this will help you. Had the same problem for weeks, very frustrating! Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 AM

Another possibility is that you may have run on an underinflated right front tire for some period of time. Even when the pressure's returned to normal, the wear on the tire will continue to cause the pull. You might want to switch the fronts and see if the pull switches to the left. If that's the case, you're experiencing tire pull, if not, it's likely to be a suspension issue.