CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Another seized CLK trunk key lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
Another seized CLK trunk key lock

Like most CLK's my trunk will also not open with the key, which will NOT turn. 2002 CLK55 AMG. I don't want to rely solely on the electric button and want to make it proper. So I removed the assembly and as per MB it appears to be made of 100,000 pieces and is ultra-confusing to look at. I doused it with WD-40 and even MAF sensor cleaner for several days but it will NOT budge, even with vice grips grasping the key. I took it apart as far as I can, hoping to "see" inside and get at the corrosion or whatever causes these to seize but I am stumped. Please see pic. I would even by willing to disable the key so it's always unlocked so I just have to push in on the bezel to open the trunk.

Any ideas?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't struggle...just keep one of the rear seats not totally latched (little red tab stays up)...if you ever get into trouble, just go through the rear seat....BTW, never had issue with remote nor electric switch for 16 years.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG
I have the convertible, so the rear seats do not fold down. Plus I would rather leave my trunk unlocked so I can just push the trunk key bezel in and unock it. Casual people walking past will have no idea how the trunk opens and wouldn't bother to try that anyway. If anyone knows how to disable the key portion so that it's always unlocked I would appreciate it.

Last edited by PKSlice; 03-04-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG
also Benzworld has a very good thread that shows how to completely disassembled the key tumbler. However it looks frightened complicated and I am very good with small parts but don't want to chance taking it apart and having a trunk that will not lock at all. I suspect Mercedes used incompatible metal components which caused galvanic corrosion and seized the tumblers into one lump.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430 AMG
So my wife's has a 2002 CLK 430 which is a little tired but I feel still an awesome car with some issues. I LOVE THIS CAR..................when it runs!

The first issue that has stumped us for along time now is getting into the trunk. Here's the scenario.

1.Convertible top didn't get LOCKED into correct position which I believe the cars computer tells the trunk to remain locked.
2. Battery died in trunk
3. Lock mechanism on trunk is totally frozen & little key on key FOB doesn't turn at at. TOTALLY UNMOVABLE!

Here are the things I have done to try to get access
1. I JOINED MB WORLD to search & ask for advice.

2. I jumped her car with my Volvo from port in engine compartment. While there was power to CLK I put key in ignition turning in partially lighting up cars computer.
I pulled on trunk button & nothing happened. I then took spare key FOB & pushed button it for trunk & nothing. Key FOB batteries not a problem.
3.I tried little key in key FOB & nothing.
4. I pulled out rear seats of CLK & the bulkhead behind seats is all metal & not that I can see gives any access.
5. Going from UTUBE I saw a video of guy drilling out small hole under licence plate above left of lock mechanism & can move part of lock but still nothing.
6.Going more extreme, I used a dremal tool & cut out hole big enough for entire hand (hidden under license plate) & put my hand in there & disconnected the vacuum hoses. Still nothing
7. RUNNING OUT of ideas
8. Now I have been searching Google on drilling out lock cylinder. Not sure if this is a good idea

PLEASE any help from experience on what to do to get into this beast of car would be appreciated!

Spoiler

My question for any of you is this. Do any of you think it is possible to cut out entire lock mechanism while it is locked in trunk?

I have cut out a large hole (Under license plate) big enough for my entire hand & a dermal tool . I can actually see the back or under side of the bolts that hold the the whole mechanism in place. Im thinking I can cut the entire steel mechanism apart & remove it from the inside of the trunk lid. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
​​​​​​​Thank you
Old 12-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
All this talk about manual keys prompted me to go down and try mine in the door and trunk. I have a replacement key I had made when I bought the car and the original that came with the car. Initially I couldn't get either key to work in either the door or trunk. After shooting some lubricant into the door lock I got the keys to operate smoothly and turn easily. I'm still working to get the trunk keys to work. After some effort and lots of lubrication I can get the keys to go in fully but they won't turn I suspect it's because I've never had to use them in the 6 years we've owned the car and I suspect the PO probably didn't use them either. The manual lock mechanism tumblers are probably gummed up with corrosion.

Something to add to your periodic maintenance regimen Lube the door and trunk lock and work the keys in them. That's probably already listed in the B maintenance schedule.

Edit:

Went back to the garage today and shot more lube in the locks and grasped the key with a pair of pliers. Worked the key in and out until is slid in easily and then worked it until it turned easily in each lock. Patience and PB blaster can be your best friends.

Last edited by jinark; 12-26-2019 at 05:07 PM.