CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pre Purchase Inspection for 2001 CLK 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Pre Purchase Inspection for 2001 CLK 430

Hey Everyone! Newbie Alert! First time poster, so please be kind.

I've read everything I can find on this website about PPIs but have a couple of questions: I am looking at purchasing a 2001 CLK 430 with, believe it or not, 41,000 miles. It is in PRISTINE condition. Everything looks great. The only issues that I could find were the stardard pixelation of the temp gauge and an issue with the soft top and trunk. Here is where I need your help.

When we put the soft top down on the car it starts to go down and stops. The owner of the car says all you have to do is turn the key off and turn it back on and everything will work fine. And, he was exactly right. Once I turned the motor off and turned it back on the top went down perfectly. This is apparently the same issue he is having with the trunk. Any advice?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The duration of the actuation time of the solenoid valves, until the expected positions of the limit switches have been reached, is checked in order to monitor the movement sequence of the soft top for each movement stage.

If the required time is exceeded, the sequence is interrupted and the error is stored in power roof controller.

After ignition "OFF" and "ON", the sequence can be continued.

At this time, there is a issue in the power roof system and unless diagnosed / repaired, eventually turning the ignition switch "OFF and ON" will not work.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by Serndipity
The duration of the actuation time of the solenoid valves, until the expected positions of the limit switches have been reached, is checked in order to monitor the movement sequence of the soft top for each movement stage.

If the required time is exceeded, the sequence is interrupted and the error is stored in power roof controller.

At this time, there is a issue in the power roof system and unless diagnosed / repaired, eventually turning the ignition switch "OFF and ON" will not work.
Thank you for the quick reply! Is there any idea what might be causing this or do I have to take it in and have an "error code" read?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM

CLK 430

Sorry, also forgot, the same issue is happening with the trunk. Do you think there is there a connection between these problems?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio

Originally Posted by davidr6042
Thank you for the quick reply! Is there any idea what might be causing this or do I have to take it in and have an "error code" read?
Review the enclosed documents.

After manually releasing the locking handle, does the front bow raise about 8" and stay is that position, which should open the roof's driver and passenger frame joints as shown in the picture?

If so, the hydraulics will begin opening the roof. At what stage of roof operation, does the power roof stop?

The lamp in the power roof operating switch indicates system status and basic fault diagnostics. Depending on whether the switch is being pressed or not, are any potential faults being signaled?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Whenever.the lamp in the center console's trunk release switch is lit, the trunk is unlocked. The trunk can be unlocked with the console trunk release switch, the fob or manual key. When the trunk is locked, the lamp will turn off.

By design, to prevent a collision between the soft top compartment cover and trunk lids, if the power roof controller thinks the trunk is unlocked, the power roof will not operate.

Does the lamp in the console release remain lit when the truck is closed?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:14 PM

CLK 430

Review the enclosed documents.

After manually releasing the locking handle, does the front bow raise about 8" and stay is that position, which should open the roof's driver and passenger frame joints as shown in the picture?

If so, the hydraulics will begin opening the roof. At what stage of roof operation, does the power roof stop?

The lamp in the power roof operating switch indicates system status and basic fault diagnostics. Depending on whether the switch is being pressed or not, are any potential faults being signaled?
Does the front bow raise about 8" and stay is that position? Answer: Yes
At what stage of roof operation, does the power roof stop? Stage 1. It might move an inch or so and stops. I turn the car off and back on and everything functions normally. There appears to be NO problem with closing the top.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 PM

CLK 430
As for your last question about "operating switch and system status", the light stays on the entire time I'm holding the switch up.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Does the front bow raise about 8" and stay is that position? Answer: Yes
At what stage of roof operation, does the power roof stop? Stage 1. It might move an inch or so and stops. I turn the car off and back on and everything functions normally. There appears to be NO problem with closing the top.
David....after unlocking front bow, which should open up both of the roof's side frame joints, all the windows should lower (if previously closed) in stage 2.

You didn't comment on the switch lamp diagnostics, or if the trunk is electrically locked, however I believe the problem is at stage 3, or after.

The first thing that comes to mind is that there is not enough hydraulic system pressure when initially attempting to open the roof. To keep the pump motor from burning out, a watch-dog timer will shut off the pump. When you perform the ignition off and back on procedure, the timer is reset and the continued pump operation builds up enough system pressure to open the roof.

There's an inspection port in the carpet liner in the trunk, where you can check the fluid level in the pump's reservoir. If it's low, the system has a hydraulic leak.

While numerous owners have been able to successfully and inexpensively DIY troubleshoot and repair their power roofs, we're not trying to repair the problem, which if done at a dealership would be $$$$$.

At this time, you should consider having a dealership provide you with a written list of the stored MB STAR diagnostic fault codes and repair estimate. A dealer would most like charge a labor cost of around one hours time for that service.

It appears that you have found an otherwise pristine A208 and if otherwise satisfied with the vehicle's condition, could use this information as a bargaining chip.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
As for your last question about "operating switch and system status", the light stays on the entire time I'm holding the switch up.
OK....good, because that indicates normal operation.

However, having to reset the hydraulic pump timer is not normal and a prelude to a developing fault.

I would definitely check the fluid level in the pump's reservoir.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM

CLK 430
OK....good, because that indicates normal operation.

However, having to reset the hydraulic pump timer is not normal and a prelude to a developing fault.

I would definitely check the fluid level in the pump's reservoir.
Thank you so much for all of the replies! Two last questions:

1. Do you think there is any correlation between this and the trunk having the same problem, i.e. won't open, then turn car off and on, trunk then opens.
2. He is asking $6500 for the car. Good price?

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Thank you so much for all of the replies! Two last questions:

1. Do you think there is any correlation between this and the trunk having the same problem, i.e. won't open, then turn car off and on, trunk then opens.

Yes....see enclosed functional diagram of the power roof N52 controller.

The controllers directly wired inputs (e.g. position/limit switches, 3 fused electrical circuits) are shown on the left and the outputs (rear window motors, hydraulic pump/valve block solenoid values) on the right. Additionally, as shown at the bottom of the diagram, the controller also communicates with additional controllers on the interior CANBus. The interior CANBus is a digital network of controllers, that provides control and inter-operatability status via digital messaging and voltage encoding.

Specifically, the trunk locking/unlocking operation and status are done via the A37 (Pneumatic System Equipment) and N72 (Lower control panel) control modules, on the interior CANBus network.

So if the power roof's controller isn't told that trunk is locked, it won't open the roof.

It's very possible that there may be nothing wrong with the power roof system, but there is something amiss with the wiring or a controller on the interior CANBus network.

2. He is asking $6500 for the car. Good price?

No.

BTW, because there were significant upgrades in later production models (2.8 motronic engine management, transmission, power roof system etc.), the best of breed A208s, are MY's, 2001 - 2003.

A private party sale for a pristine 2001 CLK 430 cabriolet with 41,000 miles would be around $5,000 (per KKB) and plenty of forum examples of buyers paying $3,000 - $4000 for later production models with around 100,000 miles.

Also, a garage queen with that mileage may need brake service (pads/rotors/flush), transmission service (filter/fluid, possible pilot bushing replacement), tires (check date the codes), fuel filter etc..

Here's a link about a someone who recently bought a previously owned CLK cabriolet:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208-a208-clk-class/2858754-looking-into-purchasing-2000-clk-320-a-2.html

Thanks again.

Last edited by Serndipity; 03-25-2018 at 03:56 PM.