CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installation Efficiency

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Installation Efficiency

Good Morning,
Cars developed quite the shimmy at 100km/h +. Picked up some parts for my car and was inquiring about the most efficient way to go about the install. I dont need installations procedures (everything is already on here) maybe just advice on how I should tackle this.
Sorry if I am asking redundant questions that have popped up in forum. I just want to go about this in the proper manner.

1. Should I split this into separate jobs? (For example the sway bar bushings could probably be done at anytime and do not depend on other components)
2. Any other part recommendations to replace while im doing the work?
3. Recommended suspension grease?

Parts
Suspension
Lower Ball Joints
Powerflex Forward / Aft control arm bushings
Inner/ outer sway bar bushings

Steering
Steering Idler Arm Bushings
steering damper
center link

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by Ferrist
Good Morning,
Cars developed quite the shimmy at 100km/h +. Picked up some parts for my car and was inquiring about the most efficient way to go about the install. I dont need installations procedures (everything is already on here) maybe just advice on how I should tackle this.
Sorry if I am asking redundant questions that have popped up in forum. I just want to go about this in the proper manner.

1. Should I split this into separate jobs? (For example the sway bar bushings could probably be done at anytime and do not depend on other components)
2. Any other part recommendations to replace while im doing the work?
3. Recommended suspension grease?

Parts
Suspension
Lower Ball Joints
Powerflex Forward / Aft control arm bushings
Inner/ outer sway bar bushings

Steering
Steering Idler Arm Bushings
steering damper
center link

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you have your alignment and balance checked. Are you sure your rims are straight? Are they aftermarket. are you running spacers?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:34 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Yea alignment has been checked, wheels have been balanced. I just switched over to an aftermarket set of corniche wheels and the same shimmy is present. Car has had a vibration for a while but it seems like it comes and goes.

replaced all 4 rotors - shimmy present before and after

running spacers in rear but it had a shimmy without the spacers aswell.

Took it to indy last summer and he said belts were broken in my tire. I replaced and still had the same shimmy. Had shimmy with my winters aswell.

Even took my spare rim and tried it and vibration/ shimmy is still present.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ferrist
Yea alignment has been checked, wheels have been balanced. I just switched over to an aftermarket set of corniche wheels and the same shimmy is present. Car has had a vibration for a while but it seems like it comes and goes.

replaced all 4 rotors - shimmy present before and after

running spacers in rear but it had a shimmy without the spacers aswell.

Took it to indy last summer and he said belts were broken in my tire. I replaced and still had the same shimmy. Had shimmy with my winters aswell.

Even took my spare rim and tried it and vibration/ shimmy is still present.

You are probably on the right track with LCA bushings the. Also check the rebound on your struts and make sure they are not leaking.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 Porsche 911 Coupe, a 2002 CLK320 & 2013 C300
Can you do your best to describe the "shimmy" in more detail? Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Do you feel is as a vibration through the chassis? Does it increase/get worse the faster you go? Does it feel as if it's coming from the back? The front? Do you feel play when you turn the steering wheel? Does is there steering wheel play before the car starts to turn left or right when you give it steering input?

A lot of these things can give you hints or rule out things. I've done everything on your list to my car when I picked it up. It had 75k miles on it. You don't say how much milege you've got, but depending on the miles, some of the things you're mentioning aren't worth even exploring.

The Idler arm arm bushing you should do, it's easy, cheap and they do wear. I'd also do the steering damper, also easy and cheap. The other thing you need to look at is the steering rack maintenance. It has three bolts that need to be tightened/torqued every so often. Before you dive into anything that costs $ do all the cheap things I've mentioned since they would all have an effect on your steering.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You don't say how much mileage you've got, but depending on the miles, some of the things you're mentioning aren't worth even exploring.
you have to start considering years with rubber parts. you can have a 50yo car with 0 miles and it is still going to need all the rubber bits replaced.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Additional Info

Originally Posted by Silver_Arrows
Can you do your best to describe the "shimmy" in more detail? Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Do you feel is as a vibration through the chassis? Does it increase/get worse the faster you go? Does it feel as if it's coming from the back? The front? Do you feel play when you turn the steering wheel? Does is there steering wheel play before the car starts to turn left or right when you give it steering input?.
I can visually see the vibration through the steering wheel, and feel it as well. There could also be some vibration coming from the rear end because sometimes I feel like im bouncing in my seat a bit. The "shimmy" starts at about 100km/h and frequency of vibration increases with an increase in speed. Sometimes it feels as if the shimmy will just disappear, then I will hit a bump in the road and it will return. Sometimes the car steering doesn't feel as tight as I think it should.

To be honest I bought this car second hand when it had 140,000km on it. Now it has 205,000km on it. I drive about 120km a day so it really starts to become annoying. Im not really sure what the car should feel like new so its really hard to establish a benchmark. Can only really base it off how my dads 2003 SL55 AMG drives and that thing is an entirely different beast with all that fancy Active Body Control.

As for replacing suspensions components I don't really mind. The car has 205k on it and i'm pretty sure the suspension has never seen a wrench or grease. Thanks for looking out for my wallet though lol!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

still sounds like the LCA bushings are shot to me.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrows
The other thing you need to look at is the steering rack maintenance. It has three bolts that need to be tightened/torqued every so often.
I usually do this every 6 months