CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

first post! my feelings about the 98-02 clk's, I think im in love(long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 accord exl v6
first post! my feelings about the 98-02 clk's, I think im in love(long)

well hi, this is my first post, my names Jai. I have loved the looks of the clk ever since I saw one for the first time. Its such a classy looking coupe. I currently own a honda coupe and was very enthusiastic about modding it the past year. Heres a pic for anyone here to see..

I really really love my coupe, I bought it because its so sharp looking.

Lately I've been a little upset about the kind've attention my honda accord gets. When I bought the car I thought I could get away from the boy racer morons that are associated with most modified hondas. I was so wrong, I get negative attention from police and I get little kids in their crappy riced out cars revving at me trying to provoke me to race them and do other stupid things. It also feels like no matter how much money I spend on this car, I am still stuck with a generic ole honda.

I have been looking at used clk's to possibly replace the accord. The clk430 is such a classy hot looking car. The 320 is a little more in my price range since it doesnt look like I am going to be able to get more then 13k for my current ride. Every once in a while I come across some 430's selling for 23k with about 60k miles on them. The price of these clk's seem fairly affordable and an excellent deal for such a great, powerful, and long lasting car.

The problem is that I am only 20 years old. I currently pay 1900 a year for insurance on the accord. This is after my 500$ discount for getting good grades in college. I was wondering how much you guys pay for insurance? I have a good driving record with 0 points. I may be able to afford the car, but I dont know how high my insurance will shoot up.

The thought of insuring this car really scares the crap out of me. If the amount of money this costs is too much for me I might have to wait until I am done with school in 2 years before I can get my hands on a clk. So if its not too personal.. how much are you guys paying a year for one of these to insure? I dont know anyone my age driving a car this nice. Some of my friends have 30k$ sports cars. But they use half of their paycheck a month to pay for it. I dont want to live like that!! lol

Well I envy all you guys.. I really love your cars. A nice drop with some 18's or 19's. Phew These cars are so under rated. Alot of these idiot honda people Im around dont even know what a clk looks like!! they're missing out . I hope to join you all at some time in the near future. I am already addicted now :p Please help me out with the info I need! thanks!!! -Jai
Old 05-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Welcome to the forum, from a relatively new forum memeber.

The 98-02 CLK is a great car. In fact MB is going to make some changes in the new CLK since people have been complaining its not as agressive looking as the prior CLK. If you can manage it, go for the CLK 430. The engine has a lot of head room and the car comes with many AMG styling cues. They're are a lot of experts (not me) on this site that will help you get you get your car they way you like it.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
I'm younger than you with a 98 CLK320. I think the car + me is about $1400/6 months or maybe it was less with the "good student discount." We have Geico, my dad has had three/four speeding tickets and my mom's completely clean. Insurance on this was actually less than on a 2000 C230 K sedan which surprised me since the CLK's A LOT faster so I wouldn't be worried. Plus the CLK would have 4 airbags, traction control, and you will probably get a discount for the fact that it's impossible to start the car without the key...
Old 05-22-2004, 11:41 PM

2005 Clk 500 Coupe
off topic. how much more would an m3's insurance be compared to a clk. 2001-current.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:27 PM

00 accord exl v6
Originally posted by iosmart
I'm younger than you with a 98 CLK320. I think the car + me is about $1400/6 months or maybe it was less with the "good student discount." We have Geico, my dad has had three/four speeding tickets and my mom's completely clean. Insurance on this was actually less than on a 2000 C230 K sedan which surprised me since the CLK's A LOT faster so I wouldn't be worried. Plus the CLK would have 4 airbags, traction control, and you will probably get a discount for the fact that it's impossible to start the car without the key...
hmm mines about 950 for 6 months. Yours is 1400, so about 500 more every 6 months for a clk320. So its an extra 1000$ a year.. hmmmm.. I really want a 430 because of the performance advantage and overall package. lol damn college takin' all my money!! haha I wonder how much a 430 could possible be?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Might be less since you're older though...who do you have for insurance? We have Geico but their rates don't seem to be that great.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Re: first post! my feelings about the 98-02 clk's, I think im in love(long)

Originally posted by driven
well hi, this is my first post, my names Jai. I have loved the looks of the clk ever since I saw one for the first time. Its such a classy looking coupe. I currently own a honda coupe and was very enthusiastic about modding it the past year. Heres a pic for anyone here to see..

I really really love my coupe, I bought it because its so sharp looking.

Lately I've been a little upset about the kind've attention my honda accord gets. When I bought the car I thought I could get away from the boy racer morons that are associated with most modified hondas. I was so wrong, I get negative attention from police and I get little kids in their crappy riced out cars revving at me trying to provoke me to race them and do other stupid things. It also feels like no matter how much money I spend on this car, I am still stuck with a generic ole honda.

I have been looking at used clk's to possibly replace the accord. The clk430 is such a classy hot looking car. The 320 is a little more in my price range since it doesnt look like I am going to be able to get more then 13k for my current ride. Every once in a while I come across some 430's selling for 23k with about 60k miles on them. The price of these clk's seem fairly affordable and an excellent deal for such a great, powerful, and long lasting car.

The problem is that I am only 20 years old. I currently pay 1900 a year for insurance on the accord. This is after my 500$ discount for getting good grades in college. I was wondering how much you guys pay for insurance? I have a good driving record with 0 points. I may be able to afford the car, but I dont know how high my insurance will shoot up.

The thought of insuring this car really scares the crap out of me. If the amount of money this costs is too much for me I might have to wait until I am done with school in 2 years before I can get my hands on a clk. So if its not too personal.. how much are you guys paying a year for one of these to insure? I dont know anyone my age driving a car this nice. Some of my friends have 30k$ sports cars. But they use half of their paycheck a month to pay for it. I dont want to live like that!! lol

Well I envy all you guys.. I really love your cars. A nice drop with some 18's or 19's. Phew These cars are so under rated. Alot of these idiot honda people Im around dont even know what a clk looks like!! they're missing out . I hope to join you all at some time in the near future. I am already addicted now :p Please help me out with the info I need! thanks!!! -Jai
Old 05-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Sorry about the duplicate of the original post, someone was at my door, the dog was going nuts, and I accidently replied before typing anything!!

I'm 47, single, no tickets or accidents, and pay about $170/mo. for full coverage on my 01 430. Last mo. I signed a 24mo. lease on a new, loaded, 04 Grand Prix GTP, and I think I only pay about $85 or so a month for that!

BTW, when I'm out in the 430 I get kids in Civics, Mitsu's, even pickups that want race me. I'm sure many others here get the same thing on a regular basis. The only time I ever obliged, it was a Tiburon (I think that's how it's spelled) and I absolutely embarrased him.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:20 PM

00 accord exl v6
Originally posted by iosmart
Might be less since you're older though...who do you have for insurance? We have Geico but their rates don't seem to be that great.
I currently have state farm insurance.