CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK w208 ABS/ESP, Won't shift into gear, seat stuck front & roll bars deployed.. HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk320
CLK w208 ABS/ESP, Won't shift into gear, seat stuck front & roll bars deployed.. HELP

My w208 2000 Clk320 is ill. Several years ago my seat stopped going front and backwards then the roll bars deployed while the top was up. I had knee surgery and couldn't really work on it so there it sat. When I went to start it the battery had died. After putting new battery The ABS and ESP lights are on. I backed it up and move it to another part of the driveway to work on it and then it would not go into park. After several tries it went into park but there is a loud clunk when I shift out of park. After reading stickies till my head is spinning here is my course of action and I need some help.

1. I found a video showing how to remove the seat switch without removing the door panel so I am going to switch the switch for the passengers seat that I know is working and also disconnect and reconnect the seat motor wire harnesses.. If that doesn't work then I will look at accessing the fore/aft motor by removing the seat material. Anyone have pictures on how to do this? Yes I have switched out the fuses to no avail.

2. I have ordered a stop switch since it is cheap and they are known to fail to see if that has an effect on the transmission. I also turned wheel to left and right trick with no luck. .

3. Yesterday I was able to manually release the top, I tried different angles having the front of the top raised and couldn't get it over the roll bars, finally by being in the back seat I was able to move the top over the bars and put in the trunk, there is only a faint click for the roll bars when I press the switch.

4, My main goal now is to get the issue with the shifter and abs/esp fixed first. Could the ABS/ESP be causing this problem with the shifter?

5. I see no reason to fix the seat if the switch switch is not the problem and same goes with the roll bars since they are such a PITA unless I get the shift into gear issue resolved.

If you have input on any of the above numbers I welcome them, I don't want to give up and sell it as a fixer upper. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
A faulty brake stop light switch may trigger the ABS/ESP warning and/or not allow you to get the car out of park.

Make sure you get the updated genuine MB switch, for around $20 and avoid the cheaper knockoffs.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM

2000 clk320
Thanks Serndipity, the switch came in today, gonna switch it and keep fingers crossed.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430 cab
I just went through this with the roll bar, just got a faint click. Check fuse in trunk. Mine had a divot in one of the blades & wouldn’t make good enough contact. Replaced & was able to get pump working to reset the roll bars. The esp/abs light needs to be reset after dead battery: turn wheels all the way left then all the way right, then back to center
Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 PM

2000 clk320
Thanks Highland doc, I will re check fuse, had to work on wife's ml, now back to the clk
Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 PM

2000 clk320
First time I tried the turning steering wheel to left and right didn't work, this time it did and lights are off. Unfortunately the transmission still won't go into park without turning the car off and has a loud clunk when putting into gear.. Tomorrow I will be switching the brake switch, rechecking all the fuses, tranny fluid and a drive around the block to see if it's in safe mode.