CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Unusual Roof Fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320 w208
Unusual Roof Fault

Hi new to the forum got loads of help from here and really appreciate it but I've got an unusual one.

I bought the car with a few faults for me and my son to do as a project and got most of them fixed but it was off the road a few months then i had the gear lever module fail put a new one and off i went.

now the roof isn't work I got it working all last summer but since replacing the gear module the light on the switch stays illuminated.

obviously I had to disconnect the switch to replace the module but it's all plugged in. Oddly enough the ESP switch isn't working either so can't switch it off but it was all working before.

just wondering if anyone has come across this before?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Continuous illumination of the power top switch (S84), when it's not being pressed, would occur if the switch is defective or has a discontinuity.in it's wiring.

Since the power top and ESP switches are adjacent , check that when the connectors where put back onto the lower control field control module (N72), that the wiring harness connectors were put onto the correct switches.

To help figure that out, the S84 connector, should have color coded wiring that would typically include BW, BKGY, YEWH, GYBU .
Old 06-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Clk320 w208
Hi thanks for getting back to me

I'll double check again tomorrow but If I remember right the plug on the wiring harness is coloured red to go with the soft top switch.

On reading a bit more it looks like esp is locked off when the car went into limp mode when the gear lever failed and it's as if it's remained locked. I got the codes checked and the car was clear but I'll do it again as it may just need cleared again.

It might just be coincidence it failed at the same point
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Clk320 w208
You're a genius and I'm just plain stupid!

It was a mate off mine that unplugged the old gear lever and when it's been put back on the cables got mixed up.

Amazing how easy stupid things happen.

Roof is now working perfectly

Thanks Serendipity really appreciate your help. I'll try not to be so stupid next time