CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Softtop won't close at the end...???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Cabrio 430
Softtop won't close at the end...???

Hi at All,
Softtop...Everything works, only the roof will not fully close at the end. Lock has been renewed already, and also the micro switch gives the signal. Also back to normal, I can open the roof from the position.
Here is another video to do so.
Video -> dropbox, see below #3
BR from germany

Last edited by Silver CLK; 06-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Silver CLK.......the videos you posted didn't directly open. However, I was able to view them by first hovering my mouse anywhere on the video, which will show an arrow in the upper left scree, Click on the arrow, which will then do a virus scan and then open the video with Windows Media Player.

Even more confusing is that.......

1. One video shows that your roof closing and locking normally.

2. The other video is of very noisy serpentine belt system, which seems to be coming from the idler pulley (a.k.a. guide pulley). It's been a frequent wear and fail W208 problem, because it's the smallest pulley in the system (spins the fastest) and is constructed of plastic with a single bearing. When it fails, by either the plastic body disintegrating or bearing seizure, you'll loose all power equipment (steering, brakes, air conditioning), engine cooling and battery charging. You'll be able to continue driving for some distance, depending on the remaining battery charge, at the risk of over heating and damaging the engine. I would strongly suggest checking it further, by loosening the belt and spinning it independently and/or the back side of the pulley body for stress fractures. Replacing it is a very easy and inexpensive job and IMHO a must preventative maintenance item, on ageing W208s.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:05 AM

CLK Cabrio 430
oh, sorry, wrong video. The video on Drive won't play...I have the same on dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k6g22boi3...hVw38xZ4a?dl=0

here you see AND hear, that won`t close in the end

Last edited by Silver CLK; 06-26-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The dropbox videos opened fine.

The 1st video shows the rear bow both unlocking/opening and closing/locking OK.

The 2nd video shows a close up of the S84/16 rear bow cylinder and locking latch, as it attempts to either lock and/or unlock the rear bow. It certainly struggles (e.g. has difficulty) in doing so.

In your original post you mentioned that the cylinder latch assembly was recently serviced.

1. During the service, the hydraulic pressure was reduced by turning a screw, located inside a cone (funnel) on the hydraulic pump assembly, counter clockwise 2 turns. Make sure that the person who did the repair, remembered to turn the screw back, clockwise until it stops, after the repair was completed, in order to restore full system pressure.

2. The usual reason that the cylinder latch assembly required servicing, is because of hydraulic fluid leakage, from the port seals. At that time, additional internal seals should have been replaced as well. If not, the hydraulic may be leaking internally. As explained in the enclosed document, the cylinder rod moves in 2 directions (both in or out) and the internal seals provide the required pressure, to efficiently move the mechanical latch linkage, back and forth.

I hope that you found this helpful.

Last edited by Serndipity; 06-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 PM

CLK Cabrio 430
First, Thanks....but nobody made a service at hydraulik system...maybe years before, i don't know

At some point that did not work anymore. the front switch stays red. But all other works fine. So i changed the switch without any effekt
Opening an closing are very loud and hard, not smooth...
So, i have to check the hydraulik, right? BUT the system is looking good
So, what to do, maybe more pressure?
-> is that the screw on the oil tank, or where to find?
and sorry fpr my bad english...
BR
Stefan

Last edited by Silver CLK; 06-26-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Stefan, Sorry that I misunderstood what you meant by "Lock has been renewed already ".

You can check the hydraulic fluid level as follows. In the vertical partition, at the rear of the trunk, there are 2 flaps in the carpet. Sometimes the factory forgets to cut all the sides.. When you lift up the one on the left, using a flashlight, you'll be able to see the fill lines and check to see if there is sufficient fluid in the reservoir.

In regard to the illumination of the lamp on the soft top switch, see the enclosed document.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:03 PM

CLK Cabrio 430
ok, i will check that. and fill up if necessary
do i have to check the pressure of hydraulik oil?
if so, how do I do that?
THX
Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 AM

CLK Cabrio 430
Hi,
Oil filled up.
Srew for pressure ok.
But same problem...

BR Stefan
Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Hi Stefan,

That confirms that your hydraulic system pressure is OK and that none of your hydraulic cylinders are leaking.

I understand that while your rear bow is not closing and locking properly, otherwise your power roof operates. Additionally, your video shows that your rear bow lock is very noisy and struggles to operate properly, which is not normal.

What is occurring, is that while the power roof controller logically sequences through the roof closing, something illogical has also occurred, that is preventing it from locking the rear bow.

When closing the roof, the above explanation details the various stages of operation. At each stage, the controller requires specific input(s), in order to properly actuate the hydraulic cylinders, which will successfully complete with a closed and locked roof.

The required controller input(s) and output(s) sequencing and activations are shown above.

Note that there are a number of position/limit switches, including S84/11, S83/5, S84/16, A25 etc., that must also actuate, in order for the controller to complete it's task during stage 10.

The following thread is an excellent example of the above (e.g. relating to a noisy struggling rear bow locking assembly and a fault in one of aforementioned .switches above).

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-problems.html

Joerg was very skilled and fortunate because......

1. While the roll bar appeared down, the S83/5 position switch was not actuating and the roof controller thought it was still raised.
2. Dealer service would have been more money than the car was worth. That's because dealer repair is done by replacing the entire roll bar assembly.
3. His cost was zero, because the switch only needed adjustment. Had the switch been defective, it is available for our CLKs, but as a part specific to the SL (R129)model.

The forum is a treasure chest of invaluable information, that more often then not, lead to do it yourself, inexpensive repairs.

However, not every owner may not have the time and/or wrench/troubleshooting skills.

In that case, at a modest cost, they can have a workshop that has the MB STAR diagnostic system, provide a list of the power roof/roll bar stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTC), that should further narrow down the fault causing the problem which typically would only then require a specific part replacement, it's adjustment, a wiring issue etc..

Last edited by Serndipity; 06-28-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM

CLK Cabrio 430
Hi, since 2 weeks i have a date in Osnabrück (cabriocentrum) the builder of the clk. But i want save my money....
so, problem solved...cable break...see photo

THANKS!!!

new cable