CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Grinding, nasty smelling brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 w208
Grinding, nasty smelling brakes

Hello all, my brake light came on, bought new semi metallic pads, and rotors. I could have used the old pair, there was no damage, just wear.
I changed the pads and rotors. After I had a bad pulsing and a very nasty grinding sound when coming to complete stop?! (Just as if you were metal to metal on a set of pads.)

Took the wheels off and I had tlost one of the retaining springs. I bought a replacement pair (factory) I took wheels off again after replacing the spring and verifying dust covers are not bent, nothing I can see with wheels off...is near the rotor. All bolts.within hands reach is tight, no fluids, no fresh scratches, no evidence anything is rubbing the rotor or any rubbing at all. Nothing that would indicates any issue.

Don’t like having to redo something so simple..

Took a six mile drive, and slowly increased my speed with each time I applied the brake. Faster speed, faster stopping. I stopped fine, no pulsating at all.

But NOW.......as I drive slowly, I still hear a very slight metal friction sound (I’m Thinking)...the rotors and new pads? That’s what I think I hear ...car was silent now this. Is this normal for a period of time?.

When coming to a full stop its, not “grinding” now like metal to metal anymore as it did before I replace the missing spring ..but just like the same type sound you are at a stop and if you “inch” VERY SLOWLY lifting you foot off the brake.

I hopIng someone might be able to help, point me in right direction other than the STEALER....if not..thanks for reading

Anyone have any ideas?

quickly, here’s my mental check list, what am I tripping over here?

quality parts used
checked inner wheels, no scratching, just brake dust...each time wheels have been removed.
pads correct, installed correct....triple checked...
same with rotors installed driver and passanger. sides triple checked. Inspected for any scratching...nothing..
dust guards, not bent at all triple checked

AFTER