CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK500 convertible top issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Clk500 convertible
CLK500 convertible top issue

Does anyone know if having too much cargo in the trunk and raising/lowering the top can cause a temporary leak of hydraulic fluid? I was out of town and tried to close the top and the top stopped half way. I was able to partially close the top to drive a short distance to a mechanic in the area. While waiting for him to look at it I noticed a puddle of hydraulic fluid near the left rear tire. He found the unit was very low on hydraulic fluid and added fluid, bled the lines and got the top to close on it's own. He was in a remote area with no access to parts and as I was on vacation I couldn't leave the car for him to investigate further or order parts. He said he opened and closed the top a dozen times with no apparent further leaks but said it was wet in the area which he assumed was from the prior problem (the trunk was empty at that point). The fluid level is midway between the top and bottom line now. I'm thinking of adding a bit more fluid and watch it closely as I don't operate the top very often (usually leave the top down in my garage) but don't want to risk getting in a situation where I have to close it and have it stop midway again. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
rond.......it would not occur on a A208 chassis, because the hydraulic pump is located between the trunk's firewall and rear seat, which protects it and the hydraulic lines from being damaged by cargo in the trunk.

You 2005 CLK500 is a A209 chassis, which has an entirely different power roof system and the pump is located in the left rear quarter panel trunk area, where it would need to be protected from cargo, but it may only be by a carpeted or plastic covering.

The owners in A209 forum would be better to advise you further. The forum is at: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/

Last edited by Serndipity; 11-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rond (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Clk500 convertible
Thanks for your response. I'll try the other forum. Have a happy Thanksgiving.