CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can you drain and add fresh fluid 2002 clk430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Can you drain and add fresh fluid 2002 clk430

Mine has started shifting a little hard, nothing that concerns me yet..Question is I read some have a drain plug on the pan, has anybody just drained out 3 qrts ( of what ever amount comes out) and re-adding clean fluid?
My Honda Civic doesn't have filter and when I drain and add 3 fresh fluid it shifts better.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
markayash......that's a great question, because when serviced properly, our W208 drive trains are pretty much bullet proof.

Unfortunately, our owner's manual states that the transmission fluid has a lifetime fill and never needs to be serviced. In fact, while there is a transmission fill tube, it's sealed with a plastic cap and no dip stick was included. Additionally, the torque converter does not have a drain bolt.

However, as transmission issues began to develop, MB since changed their mind and recommended that the fluid be changed every 40,000 miles. What was occurring, is that even though the factory fill used synthetic fluid, wear deposits from the Graphite clutches, could gum up the transmissions conductor plate and/or /value body and/or if the wiring harness pilot bushing is leaking, fluid will wick into and damage the transmission control module.

The service done by a dealership typically runs around $325 and involves the following.

-Draining the fluid from transmission sump via the drain bolt.
-Removing the sump's cover to replace the filter and if present, any metal filings on the bottom of the cover.
-Check the pilot bushing for leakage, and replace if necessary. Note: The bushing that was used during production has since been replaced with an updated part.
-Replace the sump cover, using a new gasket and torque bolts.
-Break away the plastic fill tube seal and add new fluid to the proper level at temperate.

While this only replaces about half of the fluid, the important part was replacing the filter, which if clogged would present shifting issues and/or turn into much bigger problem (e.g. limp mode, where the transmission will operate in 2nd and reverse gear), as well as an expensive repair.

Last edited by Serndipity; 11-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Recently viewed on YouTube.. Just search subject for view.