CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

experts: need help quick on new wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experts: need help quick on new wheels

My wheels/tires shipment from tire rack arrived today. Bought 18x8 and 18x9 ASA ST3. Installed it with bolts that came with it. As I was slowly back up my car, suddenly I'm hearing creaks as it's slowly moving. Don't know what/where the creaks coming from, also sounds like something is touching against one another.

My car is CLK 430 along with these wheels, never had any problem with stock wheels. Please help quick as I can't drive my car until it's resolved.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Your lug bolts are too long.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:06 AM

I used those that came with the wheels.
These are from tirerack.
Luke..are these the one..I bought them from blake!
Originally, when I used stock lug bolts, it was louder creaks and noises. As i replaced tire-rack bolts, it got better, but still i could hear noises/creaks
Old 06-18-2004, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! You need new bolts.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:35 AM

after researching and reading some threads..
My lug bolts seem too long with stocks which created louder noise, as i switched to bolts that came with wheels. It got better, but completely still there.

What size of lug bolts do I need for ASA ST3 18x8 and 18x9 from tirerack?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally posted by turboriceco0ker
after researching and reading some threads..
My lug bolts seem too long with stocks which created louder noise, as i switched to bolts that came with wheels. It got better, but completely still there.

What size of lug bolts do I need for ASA ST3 18x8 and 18x9 from tirerack?
you need to have tire rack send you the correct lug nuts. If you continue driving the way it is your e-brake might get damaged.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:54 PM

new dilemna

Dropped my car off at dealership for them to take a look at the noise that's been occuring in the rear. Pretty much longer lug bolts went all the way in beyond rotor and hub, got caught into the Ebrake System and messed with springs that's holding the shoes. Springs are bent.

What they are claiming is that repair will costs $2500 which will need replacement of HUBS/Bearings, since lug bolts were wrong size where it scrapes off threads on the bolt and HUBS.

What are your inputs? This is very hefty amount of money for repair, and big lesson for new wheels
Old 06-21-2004, 10:49 PM

Re: new dilemna

Dropped my car off at dealership for them to take a look at the noise that's been occuring in the rear. Pretty much longer lug bolts went all the way in beyond rotor and hub, got caught into the Ebrake System and messed with springs that's holding the shoes. Springs are bent.

What they are claiming is that repair will costs $2500 which will need replacement of HUBS/Bearings, since lug bolts were wrong size where it scrapes off threads on the bolt and HUBS.

What are your inputs? This is very hefty amount of money for repair, and big lesson for new wheels
Man! you got JACKED!!!! I'm not sure that it costs 2500 to repair your Ebrake Internals, but you shouldn't have drove the car with that noise at all! As I learned from changing my rims over 3 times and bolts several times. The bolts should NOT protrude more than .5" from the back of your rim, as the Stock bolts protrude from the back of my Stock wheels at .5"

Tirerack gave you wrong bolts or did those bolts come from ASA?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 PM

well..i used stock bolts when I put new wheels in..but the bolts that came with the wheels also had problems afterward, as it was very hard and had to put more effort to remove bolts. So that's where it stripped the threads on the bolts and hubs.

Dealership was saying that if i dont' replace hub, it could potentially be very dangerous when I drive, since it is not fully tighten.

CLK430ROB: what size of bolts are you using? Maybe i should call tirerack or asa and talk to them. Hopefully after I fix, it goes back to the original CLK430 and drive normally again
Old 06-22-2004, 11:24 AM

well..i used stock bolts when I put new wheels in..but the bolts that came with the wheels also had problems afterward, as it was very hard and had to put more effort to remove bolts. So that's where it stripped the threads on the bolts and hubs.

Dealership was saying that if i dont' replace hub, it could potentially be very dangerous when I drive, since it is not fully tighten.

CLK430ROB: what size of bolts are you using? Maybe i should call tirerack or asa and talk to them. Hopefully after I fix, it goes back to the original CLK430 and drive normally again
This really depends on the Rims you have. I believe STOCK bolts were 2" long and when I got the Iforged, I had to get 1.5" bolts. Now I have LH BR5's and i had to get diff bolts again.

Also, you may want to check if your rims require ball seat or cone seat. For Example, MBZ and Iforged required Ball Seat... but my BR5's required Cone Seat (japanese).

Best way is to put your stock lugs into your stock rims and see how much it protrudes from the back of your rim (approx .5"). Make a marking on it and then put the same bolt through your new rims and see how much they protrude out. From there u can see much shorter of a bolt you will need. Safest way is that your bolts dont protrude more than .5" from the back or your rim and it shouldn't take more than 6-8 full turns on your bolts before it starts getting tight (someone told me this.. tho I never counted :P)

Thanks,
Rob