CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aircon pressure readings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Aircon pressure readings

Hi MB experts,

I have had a few issues with my aircon last year on my CLK430, where we found out that my compressor and condenser was leaking. So I replaced the the compressor and the condenser. I did not use the R134a gas as this requires a licence to purchase in Australia. I used a compatible hydrocarbon gas instead.(if interested, this is the product: https://hychill.com.au/products/minus-30) This part was done by a friend as I have no idea how to calculate the required amount. A 24 hour pressure test was conducted and it all held. It was all working fine, for the last couple of months until these last scorching summer days in Australia. I decided to look at the reading from the AC climate control unit and what caught my attention was the refrigerant pressure. On starting the car it climbs from 7 to 15 bar in under a minute.

Now, I was not sure if this is the high side or low side. So after asking the stealership for the range values (I just could not find them on WIS) and they told me it is the low side and should be between 3 and 5.

Now I was not really too sure as by reading on the low side would cause some major damage and no way it can hold pressure. So rang the an indy and was told that it is normal, but I may have a refrigerant leak. I am confused now as this is conflicting information as if I did have a leak, it would not hold the 7 bar pressure.

My question is what side is the sensor reading and what should the value range be?

Much appreciated fellas!