CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tint Scratches and Smears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 320
Tint Scratches and Smears

Hi,

I had tint put on my 02 CLK 320 a little while ago. It seems the inner side black thing/rubber/liner (removes the fog build up when you role the window down) that is against the glass cuases scratches on the tint. Is there anyway to go abouts this where when I replace the tint this issue doesnt happen again?

My friends CLK has the same issue.

The tint guy said he has cut out the rubber on older Benzs before so the rubber doesnt touch the tint and make it scratch.

Any help or suggests would help.

Thanks,

shokher
Old 06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Find an installer that is familiar with tint installs on Mercedes-Benz and uses moleskin.

If his question back to you is "what's moleskin?", find another installer.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
any shop that has experience tinting benz's will replace that black rubber with felts or moleskin
Old 06-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my C230 Sedan tinted about 5 weeks ago. (Installer recommended by the local BMW dealer.) I mentioned the moleskin, and his comment was, "if it's done properly, you don't need that stuff." He said it's extremely important to thoroughly clean the stripping after the installation is done, and showed me how to do it properly, and recommended doing it monthly.

It's also printed in my guarantee that film will be replaced FOC if it is scratched or marred due to improper installation or contact with window components.

Five weeks later and lots of up-and-down on the windows...no scratches.