CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

XENON lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004 | 10:41 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 2001
XENON lights

I have a question
I bought this XENON KIT, for $600
I got ballasts, controllers, and 2 xenon bulbs, took to a shop, they told me that if I nstall this in this ballasts, wich are exact same CLK 430 2001 ballasts, OEM, XENON will burn that , I need to get the one with GLASS, is this info right? or any one install XENON with aftermarket KIT?

THanx
Old 06-23-2004 | 11:49 AM

is Nerses your name??
Old 06-23-2004 | 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Considering that HID's have a much lower operating temperature than Halogen bulbs, they won't be "melting" anything. lol That shop has no idea what they're talking about. You can install an Xenon retrofit kit into a Halogen assembly very easily, the only problem is that the assembly won't spread the light properly.
Old 06-23-2004 | 12:48 PM

13 S550 4Matic
Josh is correct the shop you are talking to sounds like they don't know too much........

go find someone who does or do it yourself.
Old 06-24-2004 | 05:04 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 2001
Josh, the problem is that shop is Only Authorized Mercedes Dealer, can you beleive that bro?! )))
I took the car over there, check it out, I had K&N filter, asked them to put it on, they told me, that the filter is for different model its not mine, I called the company who I bought that from, I was embarrased, it was the right on, they dont even know about filter man, what you expect from here :-))
no I have problems with my Rims, I bought this 1/6 EVo 19"x8.5 all 4 of them : it had 245/35/19 SO 3 potenza tires, it was rubbing the bumber, they said the reason is because the tires are too wide, I change the tires didnt change the problem, then I found out, there was a spacer in the wheel, 16mm, I took that out, it good now, but now touching some bolt on suspension, I called the Overkase, they said I need to buy 12mm spacer, and everything will be fine, they said that in that shop they dont know shiet, bro I stock in this city with this mercedes, dealer asking me whats the model of your car, since I took CLK 430 sign out))))) LOL I cant beleive this man, this is Mercedes Authorized Dealer man......LOL any way, lets see what happend, so I can just go ahead and install Xenons my self?
just cut the wires connect to controllers? you think will work like that? easy to install? I think better if I do it my self, anyway they dont know shiet about that
Any one has instruction how to install Xenon? thanx
Old 06-24-2004 | 05:36 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 2001
my name

Yes my name is Nerses
Old 06-24-2004 | 08:27 AM
Banned

The Xenon system is about 27,000 volts. If you make a mess of it then you will know about it. So when you do the job take out life insurance first and some clean underwear.
Old 06-30-2004 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
HID/Xenon kits will not damage the housing since the temp is actually lower.

There is no glass in the OEM Xenon kits either... the housing is plastic just the same. The only difference is that there is an extra sheet of plastic inside to PROPERLY deflect/spread the light pattern from the xenon light so to not blind the on-coming traffic and cars in front of you.

MB dealers are trained to only be able to answer questions that their service manual covers... they know nothing abuot conversions or upgrades... they are the wrong people to ask in those regards.

if the kit is a complete aftermarket kit, then, its as simple as connecting in a table lamp... well, almost... it all depends on your level of comfort workin on your car, and how handy & creative you are.

If you are the average joe, you should be able to do the job in under 2hrs easy.