CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1999 CLK320 Alarm Won't Stop!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320, 2001 ML320
1999 CLK320 Alarm Won't Stop!

It's too late at night to do a proper search. I was reading another post regarding my alarm that keeps randomly going off. So I'm sure there's a more appropriate spot to put my rant, but it's too late at night, I've been driving all day from South Carolina to Ohio, and I parked my car at the Motel 6, locked the doors with a remote, and a few minutes later the alarm is sounding. I'm in a safe area, so I left the doors unlocked and a few minutes later the alarm is going off again. I repeated this scenario several times until I jumped in the car and moved it around the corner so at least it wouldn't wake up other guests, and that seems to have solved the problem.

I read in the other form that you can't just unlock the doors with the remote, you have to jump in and start the engine, and then not lock the doors. And that more or less disables the automatic locking. When I get home from my vacation, I'll pull out the alarm box and disable it.

I did read in another search that you could remove the power lock fuse, but under the hood of my 1999 CLK, there are five (locking) fuses indicated, two of which are in the trunk, which is loaded to the gunwales with power tools.

It's now 15 minutes after I moved

the car around the corner, and everything is quiet. So we can all go to sleep now.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 AM

A208 CLK
For what its worth, the one time I had this happen to me it was a hypersensitive motion detector. Any little breeze, passing car or whatever and the alarm would keep going off. Mind this was a while ago and the car was not an MB.
I hope you have fixed your problem by now, but if you haven't tried this already ofc, maybe pressing the button to switch off the towaway alarm when you leave the car might help? I understand this disables the motion detection part of the alarm system. At least you will be able to leave the car safely locked.
Maybe this is of some little help, good luck with it.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 AM

1999 E320, 2001 ML320
I didn't know that the tow hook button on the dash would disable the motion sensing part of the alarm. I made it home two days after the episode in West Virginia, and now can deal with the alarm at my leisure. I put over 4000 miles on in almost 3 weeks on my newly purchased CLK

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM

1999 E320, 2001 ML320
It snowed the day after I arrived....

Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM

A208 CLK
That's the way to get a new car, a road trip adventure. At least it got you home. Ragtops are bad weather magnets by the way.

My own similar story ended quite differently, and involved a breakdown truck. I knew what I was getting into though, old cars are bought with the heart not the head and all, but the head still has it's part to play in accepting that there will be all sorts of unexpected fallout to deal with down the line. Which is all part of the fun.

(Or a nightmare if you were thinking it was all going to be fine anyone else reading this thinking about an old MB. Honestly, don't because it won't be fine all the time).
(PS I don't mean don't buy one. Do, but know it will break you heart one day)

Last edited by James F; 03-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

1999 E320, 2001 ML320
I do this type of trip twice a year, and it's impossible to predict the outcome. But I'm a life long car mechanic, and $200 of ww tools and a towing club card and off I go!!!