CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 230 Convertible - Manual Roof Operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E350
CLK 230 Convertible - Manual Roof Operation

My 2001 CLK 230 leaked a whole lot of hydraulic fluid out on to the trunk lid and now the roof won't open and close automatically - local MB Dealer quoted me $2800 to repair - does anyone know if it is okay to operate the roof manually by following the instructions in the manual as It will take me a while to source the right parts and try and do the repairs myself.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by namkiwi
My 2001 CLK 230 leaked a whole lot of hydraulic fluid out on to the trunk lid and now the roof won't open and close automatically - local MB Dealer quoted me $2800 to repair - does anyone know if it is okay to operate the roof manually by following the instructions in the manual as It will take me a while to source the right parts and try and do the repairs myself.
The manual process is an emergency process. It's not recommended to use it as a normal mode of operation...
Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
namkiwi....When the soft top compartment cover opens into it's vertical position, if the rear bow lock cylinder has a port leak, hydraulic fluid will drop onto the trunk. You can easily verify this, by just removing the carpet panel, from the inside of the soft top compartment cover.

On a short term basis, using the instructions in the owners manual for manually operating the roof should present no problem, because the hydraulic system pressure is reduced, which should prevent additional fluid leakage onto the trunk lid.

Leaking rear bow lock cylinders has been a frequent issue, because it's service life is shorter, due to where it's located, in an environment of high heat, that accelerates the deterioration of the seals. Also, in addition to the port seals, the cylinders have internal seals, which are likely to soon fail as well. For this reasons, avoid any repair that uses a previously used part (e.g. from a EBay seller, pick and pull salvage yards etc.).

Your best option is to have the cylinder rebuilt by Top Hydraulics, who will replace all of the seals. The price for rebuilding the rear bow lock cylinder is $45. Note: If you're not in the U.S., they also support international customers.

You'll find more information regarding pricing options at:

https://www.tophydraulics.com/23-w208-clk

Replacing this cylinder is very easy. You'll find Top Hydraulics 'how to replace the rear bow lock cylinder' video at: